T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here license any band logos or photos of bands/musicians for t-shirts? I'm not looking to do parody designs, I'd like to do band shirts with a photo and logo. Anyone know what's involved with obtaining a license to use this on a design and sell it? I'm sure it's expensive, but I'd still like to check it out. If someone could point me to some websites that deal with licensing, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Bad Mange

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks like a cool site, if you're a retailer. As someone who wants to design band t-shirts I wish there was a one-stop shop for purchasing licenses for using band photos, logos, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ok the link is informative and everything, but how would i go about getting the rights to print a band logo? who has the rights? can i find it by going to the band's website? i have tried looking and haven't been able to find anything. is the person that allows you to use the logo seperate from the band? i know these questions might seem stupid, but can someone please help??

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
ok the link is informative and everything, but how would i go about getting the rights to print a band logo? who has the rights?
Sometimes it's the band, sometimes it's the record label (depending on how big the band is or how they have it setup)

can i find it by going to the band's website?
Sometimes it might be on the band's website; at the very least you'll probably find their contact information or legal department so you can call them and ask who exactly to talk to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi...I used to work for Conde Nast Publications in NY. I was the Rights and Permissions coordinator there. I also licensed Stock Photography at various Stock agencies. The way we worked was that you must contact this department and license the rights (if they allowed you to do so for your particular usage). There was always a fee based on what the circulation was for your publication and where you would distribute. After doing so you would receive formal permission and you could license the rights. I can only imagine the process would be the same here. I suggest you contact the record label as well and speakto thier permissions department. Good Luck!!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks guys! this really helped. i couldn't really find an email or number for that specific department, but i just emailed sales and they gave me the right address. i knew there was some way of doing it becuase i have seen other baby clothes websites with band onesies, and i don't think they were buying wholesale and re-labeling. anyway, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lisalee- Thank you as well! I've been trying to figure out who to contact regarding the licensing of band logos, covers and photos for awhile now. Any idea if you could get blanket permission to use any band logos/album covers/photos that are signed to a particular record co, or would it be a per-band permission? I assume the former is what the large "official band merchandise" companies do.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Any idea if you could get blanket permission to use any band logos/album covers/photos that are signed to a particular record co, or would it be a per-band permission?
I'm pretty sure it would be a per band permission since different bands are more popular and have more demand for their merchandise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree ...it would depend on who owns the rights to the logo etc. it's up to them. I would bet that they charge a fee though.;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, another question about this. When I contact the Rights and Permissions department of a record company, I should specify that I would like to use the name/logo, photos and album covers for bands X, Y and Z to produce and sell t-shirts? I've been trying to figure out how to do this for awhile now and have gotten nowhere trying to search for a firm that handles band merchandise rights and I finally see a light at the end of a long, dark tunnel. I kept thinking there had to be an organization for merchandising much like ASCAP does for song rights...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I worked in the music industry for quite sometime and It is usually the band management company that holds the licensing rights (on the CD liner notes there will be the Management company name and sometimes a contact number). Hope this helps.

I wonder how some companies offer merchandise for so many bands? They can't possibly be contacting each band's management company independently, can they? Lowbrowser, did you work for a record company? If so, large or small?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe you're right, there must be a clearing house company who does the leg work for you.
I've worked for about 30 labels, from super small punk rock to all the majors. Sometimes I was hired by the label (Capitol for Megadeth) and sometimes the band (Reverend Horton Heat on Artimis), but my licensing agreements always came down to the management for the band. I built a name for myself doing the style I do so I was able to keep a small piece of licensing for the tour stuff that came out of the CD package design. Never got rich, but it did help. Currently I'm helping a new punk jazz label, WONDERCAP, get the first few releases together (guys from Oingo Boingo, etc.). Labels like this will keep the rights to the CD imagery and share licensing with the band. Even though I'm hired by the band/label, I always end up working with the management over the merchandise and tour imagery.........

1 - 20 of 30 Posts