T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im in the market for a heat press. contracting out for screen printing is way to expensive. besides the obvious differences between heat presses and screen printing, can the consumers tell the difference? if so whats better? heat pressing reminds me to much of iron-on materials. but im unsure of the out comes of heat pressing being new to the tshirt printing world..any help?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
As I have looked around for best deal and "SERVICE' I went back to Coastal Business where I bought my small press and now I am the owner of a Mighty press 15 x 15.. Love it.. Love it.. free shipping.. those suckers are heavy.. 80 pounds. free shipping saved me a bundle.. look around. i don't think you will find abetter press or supplier. Tell them Lou sent you..

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
SINISTERclothing said:
can the consumers tell the difference?

Yes.

SINISTERclothing said:
if so whats better?
Screen printing.

(how much better, i.e. not much at all, or a heck of a lot, is a matter of debate)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I think on the heat press end you have an advantage over screen printing. You can do more with pictures and color. Ok I know you can do pictures but then you take the number of screens involved and the knowledge to do it. and you need more expensive equipment. I talked to a band that were having shirts they sold a concerts done by a screen printer, just their name. I showed them they could actually have their picture on the shirt for half the price. You can do a lot with screen printing if you have the bucks and equipment. But for heat pressing there is a place.. a big place,

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It depends what market you're aiming at. If, like badalou, your main business is making event shirts etc, then heat press seems the most obvious choice.

If your planning on making specific lines of fashion shirts, as with Solmu, then screen printing is king.

As for screen printing being too expensive to contract out.....it's far cheaper than setting yourself up with a quality press, printer, etc.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
badalou said:
I think on the heat press end you have an advantage over screen printing. You can do more with pictures and color. Ok I know you can do pictures but then you take the number of screens involved and the knowledge to do it. and you need more expensive equipment.
Heat press is an equalising technology, in that it puts the ability to do certain things (like print a full colour t-shirt at an affordable price) into the hands of the average person. In that regard, you're right - it does have an advantage over screen printing.

badalou said:
But for heat pressing there is a place.. a big place,
Absolutely - it's a multi-million dollar industry, made up of businesses ranging in size from owner-operator with a press in their bedroom, through to large corporations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts