T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
3,506 Posts
i replied with this response to the same question you asked in your previous post. follow the link and read the info provided. you are getting the processes mixed up. again:

ok, you don't understand the difference between inkjet transfers and plastisol transfers. you need silk screen printing equipment to print plastisol transfers which is totally different than printing an ink jet transfer from your desktop inkjet printer. read this:

What is the Quality of Different T-Shirt Printing Methods? A list in general order.

research is key before jumping into something. there are many resources on this site that can help you out. on the main home page of this site check out the featured threads.
Report Bad Post

Thanks http://www.t-shirtforums.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=748270

· Registered
986 Posts
Do they have screenprinting equipment specialized for just making plastisol transfers? That's what i'm searching for. Lawson has an automatic press with a vacuum press called the Mini Printer ASI, it's basically a 1 station Auto that would be perfect for doing plastisol transfers in bulk. Anything else out there similar to this? I will provide the link to the Lawson auto. Also, Is there a full print solution available for plastisol transfers? What I mean by that is are there film outputs, exposure units, emulsion, flash dryers or conveyors, or even powder applicator machines (thermography machine) that is specified for plastisol transfers? Thanks

· Registered
3,506 Posts
that will do the job.....but cost you a lot of money.

if you just want to print one color plastisol transfers why not just buy a screen and find a table to print on and attach the screen with a set of $20 hinges to it? cheap and will do the same thing.

· Registered
3,906 Posts
Do they have screenprinting equipment specialized for just making plastisol transfers? That's what i'm searching for. Lawson has an automatic press with a vacuum press called the Mini Printer ASI, it's basically a 1 station Auto that would be perfect for doing plastisol transfers in bulk. Anything else out there similar to this? I will provide the link to the Lawson auto. Also, Is there a full print solution available for plastisol transfers? What I mean by that is are there film outputs, exposure units, emulsion, flash dryers or conveyors, or even powder applicator machines (thermography machine) that is specified for plastisol transfers? Thanks
You can use any screen printing device for making transfers. The process is the same, the equipment is the same, with the exception of a vacuum platen if you want to make more than one color prints.

The difference is in what you print ON. With transfers you screen print the ink onto paper rather than onto a shirt. And that automatic machine will do the manual printing part but that's ALL it does. You still have to burn the screens, you still have to put the paper on the platen and remove it and put it in the dryer or under your flash unit.

· Registered
986 Posts
I don't want to manually print thousands of transfers. Which is why I looked at the auto from Lawson. Andi know screens still need to be burned. I've been doing heat applied vinyl and plastisol transfers for 5 years now, so I'm no rookie. It's getting to the point to where I need to consider bringing printing in house. I've been researching making plastisol transfers for 2 years.

· Registered
7,155 Posts
It's just as easy to outsource the Transfers. This way you're not tying up all your time. You have to Add Adhesive powder or they won't stick properly.

You can also use a Sign screen printing press. I've seen many on ebay.

You'll need a Vacuum Platen or risk messing up even a one color. Especially if the images goes to the edge. The transfer paper will stick to the screen and you won't be able to add a second pass if you need it.

Many companies only have a 9" x 12" print area due to this. We have a 12" x 12" print area. We can also go to the edge if we need too, which is 15" x 15".

· Registered
6,970 Posts
I don't want to manually print thousands of transfers. Which is why I looked at the auto from Lawson. Andi know screens still need to be burned. I've been doing heat applied vinyl and plastisol transfers for 5 years now, so I'm no rookie. It's getting to the point to where I need to consider bringing printing in house. I've been researching making plastisol transfers for 2 years.
Is this so you can make more money?.....For some this does work....But you really need to pay attention to all your input costs to make sure.....Doing stuff in-house does not always mean making more money...

I last printed my own transfers in the early 1980s.....Been outsourcing ever since.....I think marketing and/or selling is far more profitable time than doing production...

· Registered
3,506 Posts
Toxic, my business is mobile. I work under a canopy. There's more money on the road. I also work a niche market. I do have a 9-5.
gotcha. so you'll heat press shirts as people come in and choose a design?

why not just screen print a bunch of shirts at different sizes? are you concerned about having a lot of inventory laying around? i would think lugging a heat press around would be a b##ch.

· Registered
986 Posts
I work a niche market toxic. The same design gets imprinted on different size shirts in the same color. Again. I work a niche market. Royster I'm starting to think maybe I should just stick with outsourcing and focus on marketing. However in my niche market, I got the marketing down pack.

· Registered
178 Posts
I would stick with outsourcing unless you want to be a printer. To print transfers in bulk I wouldn't bother with a t-shirt press, instead I'd use a semi-auto with a vacuum platen designed for flat work.
I would have to agree... when we started it was with Cameo presses that were semi automatic and had a
vacuum platen... 24 years or so later and we still have two of the original cameos we started with plus
a few newer ones and have a Sakuri cylinder press
for our high quantity runs

· Registered
3,506 Posts
I would have to agree... when we started it was with Cameo presses that were semi automatic and had a
vacuum platen... 24 years or so later and we still have two of the original cameos we started with plus
a few newer ones and have a Sakuri cylinder press
for our high quantity runs
very cool.

how big a surface do those let you print on? i saw something on die-cut decals yesterday that was very interesting. except for the cutting aspect, is it the same principle?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.