T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at adding a Kornit to our shop. We've looked at several models but have focused in on the Storm 2. Trying to learn from the experienced users out there on what they wish they knew when buying their first Kornit. Here are a couple of question I have in my mind:

1. Seems that most other DTG printers have an accurate ink cost calculator embedded within the RIP software, seems surprising that after ten years Kornit is only now contemplating adding this feature...I was told that for a standard 12x12 design on darks most users see 1.25 usd per print...I plan on just taking a simple approach of taking quarterly ink and consumable costs / number of prints.

2. Is the QuickP Designer a good purchase for those who bought it? Seems that the primary benefit is that one can adjust the parameters from the art room as opposed to being at the machine, but perhaps there are other benefits as well?

3. Green Cloud System seems like a must have since it maintains the humidity within the machine, any things to keep in mind when making this purchase? The Storm 2 does not have one in built like the newer models so it is an external unit.

4. We will be adding the Adelco gas dryer as it seems to be the best dryer suited for Kornit. Any thoughts on split belt dryer or any other recommendations?

5. Any considerations on how to arrange the physical location of the machine and dryer? To do and not to dos?

Any tips and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
1. Seems that most other DTG printers have an accurate ink cost calculator embedded within the RIP software, seems surprising that after ten years Kornit is only now contemplating adding this feature...I was told that for a standard 12x12 design on darks most users see 1.25 usd per print...I plan on just taking a simple approach of taking quarterly ink and consumable costs / number of prints.
Completely agree, when you have a monopoly you enjoy quite a few luxuries. ;)

I would say those costs are low. Be also sure to include Wiping Fluid, Fixation, as well as any maintenance fluids used regularly.

2. Is the QuickP Designer a good purchase for those who bought it? Seems that the primary benefit is that one can adjust the parameters from the art room as opposed to being at the machine, but perhaps there are other benefits as well?
This really depends on your setup. If you can calibrate the machine to deliver reliable results with 8bit files then you don't need it. However we've found that with multiple types of machines 8bit isn't consistent.

3. Green Cloud System seems like a must have since it maintains the humidity within the machine, any things to keep in mind when making this purchase? The Storm 2 does not have one in built like the newer models so it is an external unit.
We don't have any built in humidity. If you can control the climate in your printing room and maintain 35% humidity you will be fine.

4. We will be adding the Adelco gas dryer as it seems to be the best dryer suited for Kornit. Any thoughts on split belt dryer or any other recommendations?
Adelcos are great dryers, Interchange is also a great American brand with equal quality.

Never had a need for a split belt as we've always had multiple dryers. Could be useful.

5. Any considerations on how to arrange the physical location of the machine and dryer? To do and not to dos?
As close as possible, walking with wet ink usually results in reprints.

Good luck!

-m31uk3

·
Registered
17 Posts
if you have comparison questions on the storm or a1000 i can give you contact info that is running roughly 15,000 shirts a day with Kornits. This guy can answer any questions you may have.
Let me know !

Hello tonybragg, I have TONS of questions on Avalanche actually. Will it be ok if you PM me the contact info of your friend who's using the Kornit?

Here's my most important question - On average, regardless of the size of print, Will be interested to know how much ink was used for how much pieces of shirt. Of course the average selling prices as well.

With these data, I hope to get a pretty good actual approximate of the yield of Kornit ink. Here in Manila, pricing could be more "sensitive" than the actual quality of the print.

By the way, from the info sheet of Kornit, it seems like PreT cost is about 15-20% of the actual ink cost on light garments?

Example, if printed on light garment, the CMYK ink cost is about 50c USD, the PreT is about 15c?? Add another WHITE ink of 50c if printed on dark. Is my estimate even close to actual?

Thanks, thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
We purchased an Adelco gas fired dryer 15 months ago. The dryer has worked very well but their manual is a joke. Overall we are very pleased.

Our testing on a Kornit 932NDS has shown the cost for a 12"x 12" print is closer to $2.00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.