T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We'll...I took the advice of many of the forum members and did not get the cheaper multiunctional model press on ebay. I did however get 2 different presses off of craigslist and ebay.

My question is, did I pay too much for them or were they a decent price? I've read that older models should cost about 1/3 of the newer models price.

The first was a Hix VH250 hat press. This thing was made in 1987!! The owner only used it a few times when he first bought it. It had been stored away in a box for the longest time. There is no rust anywhere and it looks in great shape. It also came with the original documentation. It cost me $150. See pic.

The other was a Hix H1620 16x20 Swing Away press. This one has a little rust on the frame, but overall it looks good. This one was $250+$45 shipping. See pic.

Anyways I wondering if I did alright on my first heat press purchase? Hopefully they work :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I think you did great :) As long as they hold a good temp you will be good. That was a great deal on the cap press excpecially, it still looks new. The swing away presses are usually more money so yea I think you definately got a good deal. Have fun with them :) you know you can also buy digital timers that have a magenet oh them that you can mount so that you have accurate timing on your presses. Great job :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you know you can also buy digital timers that have a magenet oh them that you can mount so that you have accurate timing on your presses.
Hi BobbieLee,

Do you mean like a magnetic egg timer of some sorts that just sticks to the unit, or something that actually replaces the existing timer(rewired)?

Also do you have any ideas on testing the units? I noticed you mention "holding a good temp". Should I just set a temp and watch it for a few secs/minutes/hours and make sure it doesn't flucuate too much?....how much is average?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Joseph. You got your presses at reasonable prices. Unless your business is already established, it really isn't wise spending out great sums of money, until you get customers actually buying from you.

If you decide to upgrade at some time in the future, your current presses can be stowed away and kept in reserve to cover breakdowns etc.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have been in business over 13 years and I would still buy used. The heating elements are bilt for a life time of use. I think you did great and the Hix brand is top shelf. CONGRATS. ...... JB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts