T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own my own clothing line, and I want to get into screen printing, but with me living at the dorms in college, I see that as not happening anytime soon.

But, foil printing seems easy and something I can do right in my room.

What would I need to get started to do foil printing? I looked up everywhere almost and can't seem to get a straight answer.

I've seen heat presses on ebay for pretty cheep. Do I want to go there or stay away from ebay?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Looking to start doing foil printing

First, try and look local. It's always the easiest thing to do. It'll save shipping costs not only on the press, but on all the other accessories/supplies. You should be checking out heat transfers, since you do not have space for screen printing. I would suggest to check out the ads on this site- many people have good prices and info here with products people are trying to get located. But good luck man I noticed that you're a college student too trying to get something going.. I'm a second year at UC Santa Barbara and just started up a silk screen business (just got a house with a garage).. So i'm on the same path!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts

What would I need to get started to do foil printing?
Practically everything you'd need to do screenprinting. You wouldn't need a flash or a tunnel dryer, but to do it properly you'd need a heat press, some kind of print setup (you wouldn't need a full carousel, but at least a table to print on, preferably with some screen clamps), screens, an exposure unit, etc.

You could get away with less equipment than normal, but it's still not exactly minimal if you want to do it right.

But if you just want to get going and try it out... the only must haves are a screen with your image exposed on it (which you could do in your bathroom (in which case you'll need some extra things) or sub out to someone else), the adhesive, the foil, a squeegee, and an iron.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort (printing in an apartment at all to a certain extent, but particularly just for foil).

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts

I've seen heat presses on ebay for pretty cheep. Do I want to go there or stay away from ebay?
Read here: ebay heat press related topics at T-Shirt Forums

What would I need to get started to do foil printing? I looked up everywhere almost and can't seem to get a straight answer.
If you don't plan on doing it via the screen prnting method, then you could just use foil heat transfers.

In that case you would need at a minimum:

In which case you would just outsource the foil cutting to a place that will supply the foil transfer and cut it out in your desired design and ship the transfer to you so you can apply it with a heat press.

Ideally though, you'd want to also have:

That way you could buy the foil transfers from a suppler and cut them with your vinyl cutter and apply it with your own heat press.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts