T-Shirt Forums banner

what would be the best printing method for my tees on silk modal?

1587 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Celtic
This is a repost, as the last thread I made went unanswered :(

I would like the majority of my designs printed on Modal Silk material tanks and t-shirts. Alternative Apparel carries a nice variety of this type of shirt.

I've been told that DTG printing with white ink is too heavy of a process for that material. I had a sample shirt printed by a DTG printer sans the white ink, and when the shirt was cured with heat it cause a smear above the design.

Someone suggest "discharge printing". I'm so lost with what would be the best printing method for my tees on this type of material :confused:

Here is an altered picture of what I am looking for. That is one of my designs photoshoped onto a modal silk tank.

See less See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Re: I Need Your Help People!

I'd go discharge for that type of design and selling to women on that type of garment. If cost is a factor, I'd go plastisol with a minimal or reduced base.

Great artwork, btw...
Reactions: 1

first of all discharge will not work...it need to be 100% cotton to work, also the white will be more of a cream color.

ps your looking at about 15 screens to print that job

I'd say process print with an underbase and maybe need a few spot colors. Although, with some of the higher pigmented process inks, it might work out fine. Definitely need it done in halftones.
Reactions: 1

first of all discharge will not work...it need to be 100% cotton to work, also the white will be more of a cream color.

ps your looking at about 15 screens to print that job
I need a more cost effective way. Screen printing can get very expensive with alot of colors. 15 screens!? That would probably run me like $20-$30 a shirt...that's insane.

What's the deal with plastisol?

I'd say process print with an underbase and maybe need a few spot colors. Although, with some of the higher pigmented process inks, it might work out fine. Definitely need it done in halftones.
How cost effective is that process?

Hmm... I count 12 max. on the plates. Totally didn't see the silk content though...

How many different colors of shirts are you printing on?

How cost effective is that process?
A lot more cost effective. You'd be looking at 5 screens (the CMYK and a white underbase).

sorry it took me so long to get back to you. :)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.