T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My budget is higher then the 600 dollar range of the Expert 24 LX. Any recomendations? I'd say 900-1000. Or just do the smart beginner thing and go entry level. All I've read contour cutting is a major feature so the Expert 24 LX seems like a good fit. But I do have extra cash I could spend. 80 percent of my shirts are text. I might be wrong but contour cutting is a must for that no? And might be a good time to ask also, Old Gothic style font. Is that too detailed for some cutters? Speed is also not a big issue at all or long tracking. Thoughts? Maybe just stick with the GCC Expert LX?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Why is contour cutting a must FOR YOU? You need to find a cutter that fits your own needs.

The step up from the Expert 24 LX with contour cutting is the GCC Puma III. The difference is the motor, the LCD display, the downforce, and the blade holder carriage. It retails for $1250.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
When you move up from an Expert 24, you get into plotters with servo motors.....

A Puma III is 1,250.00 and the stand is extra.....US Cutter has a Zencut Green at 999.00 which is a re-branded GCC Puma III and the stand is extra.....The biggest difference is the Puma III comes with Great Cut software.....The Green comes with either Sign Blazer (an old program whose developer has died) or Signcut which must be renewed in a year for 270.00....So after renewal the prices are a wash.....GCC has great support....I have never had any dealings with US Cutter so can not offer an opinion on their service....

If you do not want to go over 1,000.00 US Cutter has Copams.....I have no experience with them but you can do some research on this forum and over at US Cutter......Not sure if the price includes a stand....Same software situation as with the Zencut Green...

Do you need contour cutting?....Also, a stand is a must in my mind.....You will have less problems cutting when your material is on a stand....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like I would be taking a chance on the GreenZen from everything I`ve read on this site Most people posting say stay away from US Cutter but a thousand dollars is nier to spend then 1250. Thousand dollar mistake if it breaks down on me too soon.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
GCC has been making re-branded cutters for over 30 years....So while US Cutter sells the Zencuts, they do not make them....GCC does...While I would not buy one of US Cutter's lower price models, I would not rule out the Zencut line....But if you buy the cutter and software upfront there is no price advantage with the Zencut Green over the the Puma III....

If you are limited by your budget and need contour cutting you will have to compromise...And if you read enough forum pretty much every brand gets bashed from time to time....

As far as software....I have both Corel Draw and Illustrator so I can do quite well with Great Cut....If you do not have one of these programs, Signcut might be better for you any way.....Or as a separate purchase look at WinPCSign 2012...I think it has some features for rhinestones.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I`m starting to the think I should buy the GCC Expert 24LX and maybe spend the extra money on materials. Just because I have the extra dough doesn`t mean I need to spend it. Unless the Puma is really that much better quality and efficiency. I do not need the 5 meter feed but not totally sure if I need the 400 gm cutting force for old english style font graphics. Would 250 grams of force be sufficient? If the extra money on the puma III is truly worth it, I will do it but if not need for simple black on white designs, then I will not bother.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I have an Expert 24 and a Cut-3000 which is a re-branded GCC Bengal......The Cut-3000 cuts more accurate and quieter...To me it is a huge step up from the Expert 24.....I still have my Expert 24 as a backup but the noise drives me nuts.....

As far as cutting length and down force, most of that does not matter for what I do.....I cut most of my sign vinyl and heat press vinyl with pressure less than 50 grams.....And while I have done 10 feet at a time, most of my cuts are less than 3 feet....

Again I ask what do you plan to contour cut?.....You do not need it for sign vinyl heat press vinyl....Are you going to be printing ink jet transfers or stickers?.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My main products are t-shirts. Black vinyl on white t-shirts will be 90 percent of what Im doing. Old English style font is the font that will be used 50 percent of the time. No sign making but if I have the right machine and I can make extra cash, that is just a bonus for me. Primary focus is t-shirts though. Simple vector designs as well. I have an extensive media background but zero experience with this equipment. I`ve made more then 100 t-shirts with an iron and random white shirts lol. I am actually getting orders now from strangers and word of mouth so I want to step it up a notch. So I am a fresh newb yes. But quick learner and I appreciate all advice and constructive criticism.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Where in Indiana are you PM me. I have a US Cutter and and have had no problems it is now going on 4 years old. Sign warehouse has a rebranded Graphtec that is also a good cutter I had one but sold it cause I didnt have enough space or work for 2 cutters since I also screen print. The reason I sold the vinyl express is because it had a higher resale value. I be more than hppy to show you my cutter. If your not using it 8 hrs a day 5 days a week one of the cheaper cutters will last a long time and if your just starting out its not a big hit to your wallet. I won mine on ebay brand new for about $300 and its the laser point model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahahaha I am not in Indiana. That is just my name. So now I`m starting to think maybe the greenZen might be the way too go. Ahhhhhhhh too many options. I will not be using it 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Like an hour or 2 an evening and maybe alot on a Sunday or something. The best reviews I have seen so far are for he GCC Expert 24 LX for MY NEEDS. I`ve only read people trying out the GreenZen (Puma III re branded) with no conclusive data (there opinion). Maybe I should just save up a few thousand more and go DTG machine lol. To be honest, would anybody do that if only took an extra moths to purchase an entry level DTG machine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.