T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So even though I have yet to even get my screen printing supplies, I am already thinking about the first thing I am going to upgrade, and I believe it will be either newman roller frames, (frames, mesh, roller table) or a bigger dryer.

I am just curious about what some of you all upgraded first after you got your businesses up and running and needed to expand.

· Registered
145 Posts
Well, it was dryer for us, but I think a new vac exposure would be slick. Newmans are nice though, nothing like a nice tight screen to start off with
that was next for me, and a new table, but I snagged a whole shop closing on eBay so a bunch of upgrading all happened at once. haven't even plugged it in yet, still unpacking. can't wait. I do a lot of WB printing and I iron every single last one of those suckers by hand. NO MORE!

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would a number press be a good thing to look into? I know I will have some jobs that will require numbers, but they will be done by the store and not me.. but If I have a number press, that would equal more money and more jobs, but would it also equal more headaches?

I guess I also want to add a DTG Printer, a dedicated dark room, and a few other things, I hope it doesn't hurt to dream big from the start haha.

· Registered
266 Posts
I first began looking into DTG. I had my eye on Anajet M5 (so damn expensive but a good machine). So if all goes well I would definitely love to get my hands on one of those. I was thinking the same with regards to numbering. I simply thought of investing in a vinyl cutter and a heat press to add that dimension to my start-up. I have also seen that Ryonet sells a screen printing numbering system. That too is expensive. But all in due time I guess.

I think when it comes to numbering sports apparel, wouldn't most people prefer vinyl numbers. It's been the standard for as long as I know. Just my thought!

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at the M5 too, I am supposed to go talk to them at ISS this weekend, but funding both screen printing and the DTG would be crazy at first.

The only problem I see with numbering systems is that you are restricted to one set of numbers and one size, unless you want to buy each individual number size, it could get expensive fast. Hopefully though, when things get rolling, I can afford it all, that would be something haha

· Registered
265 Posts
If you were deciding between roller frames or a new dryer... GET THE DRYER ! :) Roller frames need constant "tweeking". If I were thinking about printing shirts to MAKE MONEY I'd purchase an automatic press and the larger dryer. Wood frames work fine for 95% of most printing jobs, but without the speed of the press AND the dryer... it's harder to print a lot of shirts. The first thing I upgraded to was a nice manual press. A few years later I bought the automatic and was like... why didn't I do this when I bought the manual. We then got a larger dryer and a commercial exposure unit. It took 3-4 years to gather all the equipment, but I never went in debt for anything. Good luck !

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info,

I would love to grow my business into needing the automatic press, but I dont see that happing for a few years, but that would be awesome if it happend within a year or 2. I head the dryer was the most critical part of the operaton (equipment wise) cause without a good dryer, no matter how fast you can print youll always get held up on slow drying times

· Registered
266 Posts
That's exactly what they taught me in class over at Ryonet. Your only as fast as the slowest component in your operation. Having to sit around and wait for shirts to cure is horrible for work flow production time. That's why I splurged on a good conveyor dryer and took a decent exposure unit. all it is missing is the vacuum.

· Registered
450 Posts
If you're planning to build a high volume screen printing operation, then at some point you'll definately need to upgrade whatever package you initially purchased from Ryonet.

Starting with a small manual press, an economy dryer, and a basic exposure unit is fine for most folks. However, at some point, if you're really doing well, you will reach your maxiumum output. In other words, as you gain experience printing, you will eventually max-out the number of shirts you can actually print per hour (especially if you're a one person operation). The smaller economy Dryer will probably be your first bottle neck.

IMO, I'd recommend that you upgrade to the largest Dryer you can afford first, then get an Auto Press, then perhaps a better Exposure unit (single light source). If you are interested in the highest quality prints (again IMO), I'd definitely go with Newman Roller Frames ... especially on an Auto Press.

Just my two cents.

· Registered
8,278 Posts
all depends on what your doing... If you do all spot colors aluminum frames are ok I dont like wood myself too much warping. The Newman frames are a must for me when doing high end printing. I dont have a steching table, had one, no room plus I sold it for a profit. I strech on the bench, I do how ever use a meter. Streching Table will be back soon as I can add on. I would like to get a vacuum exposure unit but I do just fine with my Ryonet 25x36 black light exposure unit, I am thinking about makeing a vacuum top for mine if I dont find one soon. The dryer I went big enough for me for my first dryer 12FT 3 in 3 out 6FT of heat says it will do 350 hr but I cant print that fast.

· Registered
119 Posts
wait...
Mustang, are you gonna really be printing alot? I think you should stick with all of the stuff you have, do numbers by using regular stencils, and work up equity in the company before you spend more. I haven't upgraded some things, just because I could get by, until a BIG job showed up and then necessitated it's purchase. Please don't spend all your money just because products are available...

· Registered
8,278 Posts
Is there an obvious difference in outcome between aluminum and Newman?
For me the high tension is woth every penny spent. My 110, 156 are 40+ 230 at 35+ and 380 at 25+. Most statics I have 110 are at 22ncm. White print so much easier through high tension.

· Registered
26 Posts
Without knowing what equipment you curently have, or your weekly pieces count it is hard to say what to upgrade first.

I have not heard anyone mention true alumium plattens as an upgrade. I made really good custom ones with high grade rubber tops. I can not explain how much easier registration is and the print quality is outstanding. I wish someone told had explain to me the difference it would make.

My 2 cents

· Registered
261 Posts
Without knowing what equipment you curently have, or your weekly pieces count it is hard to say what to upgrade first.

I have not heard anyone mention true alumium plattens as an upgrade. I made really good custom ones with high grade rubber tops. I can not explain how much easier registration is and the print quality is outstanding. I wish someone told had explain to me the difference it would make.

My 2 cents
How did you go about making them? Great Idea!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.