T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New user here! A couple of quick questions. Attached are photos of a heat pressable number transfer for a polyester jersey. What type of printing and printer would create this as best as possible? Also it appears that there are 3 layers here if I'm not mistaken with a transfer sheet, ink and some type of black adhesive. What is this sandpaper like adhesive and how is it applied to this transfer? Thank you so much for those that choose to help!
Rectangle Triangle Tints and shades Electric blue Parallel
Rectangle Tints and shades Font Symbol Electric blue

·
Administrator
14,901 Posts
With the black adhesive, it is probably a DTF (direct to film) transfer.

Screen printed transfers are also common for athletic numbers but I've never seen one with black adhesive.

The powder is applied to the transfer while still wet then dried.

What I don't get is the yellow border. What color is the final transfer? All yellow?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! The final transfer is like a really dark blue with the volt yellow boarder around it. At first I thought it was just adhesive powder baked on top but it looks almost as if it's perfectly cut and then married to the ink and transfer sheet.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
The adhesive "sandpaper" would probably be adhesive powder that is applied/dusted while the ink is wet. Could be screen printed with Plastisol ink, or a DTF print. Perhaps someone will suggest other options, but those are the ones I know of that use an adhesive powder/crystals, and they are pretty common.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
At first I thought it was just adhesive powder baked on top but it looks almost as if it's perfectly cut and then married to the ink and transfer sheet.
What is suggested here is possible, and and it is used for some printing aplications.
I don't think it is the case though.
Is the powder actually black? Looks clear to me in the photo.
I think the absence of white ink is the cause of the confusion-here.
You don't need white ink if the transfer is for a white shirt, or if the ink is opaque.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I simply loved your piece of art.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts