T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6,579 Posts
also what is the best material to use for tee shirts. 100% cotton, 50/50 cotton poly blends
Only use pigment inks. I disagree on 100% cotton being the best vs. 50/50.

I have done extensive wash testing comparing both type t-shirts with assorted papers.

1. Cotton fibers are more subject to "piling" more so than polyester fibers which are stronger. 50/50 has less cotton, hence less piling. Piling is where the fibers break after some wear and washing.

This breaking leaves tiny "fuzzies" on the tshirt surface. In the unprinted areas of the t-shirt it is not so noticeable as it is on the printed areas. Even more so in the darker printed areas like where black inks are.

2. 100% cotton is a lot more stretchy that 50/50. Depending on the transfer paper when the shirt is worn tight you can pick up what looks like cracking on the transfer.

It is actually the weave/ribbing lines in the material exposed as the shirt is stretched. It shows up as vertical white lines. A 50/50 and a good transfer paper this is not a problem.

Hands down 50/50 wins all wash endurance tests vs. 100% cotton.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
I also prefer 50/50, especially for the laundering issue. Little shrinkage if any, also little ironing if any required. Print quality is as good or better IMO. The C88 & 88+ come with the proper ink required for transfers. As stated, pigmented is required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.