T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
After much reading these great forums I have decided to buy an Epson R1800 this week.
Im not buying off ebay but going to look at one from some local classifieds so i can see adn test before i commit to buy.

Thing is i dont really know any of the 'warning signs' (if there are any) that something could be wrong or the printer has had far too much use (if thats possible)

Someone told me to do a test print and it should print like a grid, then check the grid to make sure all the lines are crisp or something?

Any other things i should check before handing over my hard earned cash for something with no warrenty?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
When it comes to printers I would buy new there are to many things to go worng but that is me.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Take a couple of photos and photopaper to print on. As was suggested also do a nozzle check. I have an R1800 and it should deliver great photos at the Photo setting. I wouldn't suggest doing Best Photo, as it uses a lot of ink, and I think I actually had problems with too much ink going on the photo paper. There's not a whole lot externally that can really break on it. If you plan on doing rolls of paper, you will need the back end/manual feed attachment.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Refurbished is a good option, but used is too unsure of a thing for me when it comes to inkjets. I'd say look to Epson for the refurbished model over risking an unknown used inkjet.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would suggest a newer printer. The R1800 is an older printer. When buying a used one...you don't get a warranty. And, since the R1800 is an older printer, find in carts in the future could be a problem.

The Epson 1400 is a good printer...it replace the 1280. If monies are limited you may want to look for a repaired or refurbished 1400.

The R1800 has been replaced by the R1900. I have one one my desk that I have been testing..so far so good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would suggest a newer printer. The R1800 is an older printer. When buying a used one...you don't get a warranty. And, since the R1800 is an older printer, find in carts in the future could be a problem.

The Epson 1400 is a good printer...it replace the 1280. If monies are limited you may want to look for a repaired or refurbished 1400.

The R1800 has been replaced by the R1900. I have one one my desk that I have been testing..so far so good.
Hi, thanks for the feedback all.
Im getting the 1800 on purpose, i know its old but thats exactly what i want as a supplier here in the UK has a CIS system that has been extensivly tested on this model, unlike the 1900 which has very limited CIS options in this country, wont be needing carts in the future due to CIS obviously.
I dont want a 1400 as i would rather a printer that is designed with pigment ink in mind, not dye ink that i would switch out to pigment.

I know many people on here just want to say: 'JUST BUY A NEW PRINTER' however printers are a little more expensive over here than in the states and i cant afford it, therefor i pretty much HAVE TO buy second hand, why does everyone on here think used is 'too much of an uncertain option?'
What can/could be wrong with second hand that i cant see on the spot?

So confused

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I know many people on here just want to say: 'JUST BUY A NEW PRINTER' however printers are a little more expensive over here than in the states and i cant afford it, therefor i pretty much HAVE TO buy second hand, why does everyone on here think used is 'too much of an uncertain option?'
What can/could be wrong with second hand that i cant see on the spot?

So confused
The main problem is the fact that you don't know its history. I've seen some manufacturers do some pretty shoddy things, I remember one required me to send in the printer to replace the waste ink absorber. I couldn't find a reset procedure online and they wouldn't give me one. The printer just ended up in the trash.

Since Epsons are the most modified printer out there, I doubt this is an issue. My thoughts are: if it prints decent, and there's nothing strange about it, go for it. Make sure it feeds in straight so it doesn't print at an angle, also don't believe any "it's just printing like that because the ink is low" excuses.

A side note: I have had problems feeding in individual sheets before, primarily the transparent paper for our crystal system. Other than that, it works great, and I use it for doing invitations which are always varied in size (I've done from 4" wide up to 12" wide). We initially purchased it with sublimation in mind, but wound up keeping it for the odd jobs and photos.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm printing away on my Epson 1400 with Claria inks and so far, no problems and getting really good reviews from my customers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts