T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure which thread to post this in but here it is: I'm new into the screen printing business was hoping some one could guide me in the direction or process of being able to buy t shirts whole sale in southern California??? Is it a business license I need to have in order to buy shirts from the manufactures if not what do I need if so where do i get a license and how much do they cost and is it possible to have obtain one in less than a month?????please help

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Re: Read this!

I'm not in California, but, yes, you do need to get a business license and a resale number.
Contact your state Dept. of Business Licensing and set yourself up. Then, you'll also want to contact your state Dept. of Revenue, for your tax number.
Then, get registered with Sanmar.com
Excellent wholesale clothing company, based in western Washington.
Great pricing, high quality products and fast shipping.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Re: Read this!

Actually all you need is a seller's permit. You can read how to apply for one here:

Register for a Permit or License - California State Board of Equalization

It does not take that long and you should be able to have your application in tomorrow.
All you need is a sellers permit to buy wholesale but once your city finds out that you have registered for a sellers permit, they will want their cut also and will make you apply for a business license. they will fine you from the time you made your first purchase with the permit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ronnie-

In addition to the resale license and city business licenese you will need, us lucky screen printers here in California are also required to get from the state a garment license from the DLSE. See this link from States website... How to obtain a garment registration certificate

It is also something you should look into if you are running a screen printing or embroidery business anywehere in California.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You need a resale permit to get garments at wholesale. Go to State Board of Equalization and they will assign you a number after you turn in all the essential information. You can get wholesale garments at various "whole sale" companies on line until you get your resale permit, however you still end up paying more than if you went through an actual Wholesaler such as Sanmar, Alpha, Broder Bros, etc. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Ronnie-

In addition to the resale license and city business licenese you will need, us lucky screen printers here in California are also required to get from the state a garment license from the DLSE. See this link from States website... How to obtain a garment registration certificate

It is also something you should look into if you are running a screen printing or embroidery business anywehere in California.

Good Luck!
That is a labor law. If there are no employees then it does not apply. Also, the State is being petitioned to removed apparel decorators from this requirement.

Reactions: mdkuli
1 - 8 of 8 Posts