T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey! this is my first time on this website and im relatively new to making my own screens so be easy on me. anyways i have some 20x20 screens (the metal border included) and i was wondering what size scoop coater i should get? to my understanding i should go for a 18 or 16 inch but im not to sure!! if someone could let me know their opinion asap that would be epic because im trying to order this on amazon asap, thank you!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I go as big as possible for the screen area probably 1" shorter than the screen area, that way you will have less to tape up when prepping the screen for print. It is harder to coat but with practice you will get the hang of it. Take care of your scoop coater, any imperfections in the blade will really show up. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with Cwr, using a max size scoop coater is MUCH more difficult to master...

I would figure out what width of graphic your press can handle and maybe** go up an inch or two... emulsion is far more expensive than tape or blockout... i have a 16 and an 18" that I use on my 23x31" screens and I've never needed more for doing shirts... a 16" scoop minus 1" per side for unsusable territory a newbe will require (and even many with experience) you'll still be into the armpits on an XL tee ...
** standard commercial sized platens are 16" wide of which you can print about 15"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts