T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not run across this before where a print area is not provided. I'm not really sure what size to make the image in Inkscape before exporting to PNG. Here are the file upload instructions.

"We print using hi-res PNG files. The recommend resolution is 150 DPI or above, with dimensions set to 1500 x1995px or larger. Of course, the larger the better. We accept RGB files which we then convert to CMYK using our own color profiles."

I'm used to seeing a print area of say 11" x 14". I googled pixel to inch conversion but that would end up with like a 5" x 6" image size or is that the size they want uploaded?

This is at Teepublic. I've been trying different sites that have marketplaces.

Thanks,

· Registered
4,816 Posts
I've not run across this before where a print area is not provided. I'm not really sure what size to make the image in Inkscape before exporting to PNG. Here are the file upload instructions.

"We print using hi-res PNG files. The recommend resolution is 150 DPI or above, with dimensions set to 1500 x1995px or larger. Of course, the larger the better. We accept RGB files which we then convert to CMYK using our own color profiles."

I'm used to seeing a print area of say 11" x 14". I googled pixel to inch conversion but that would end up with like a 5" x 6" image size or is that the size they want uploaded?

This is at Teepublic. I've been trying different sites that have marketplaces.

Thanks,
At 150 dpi resolution means there are 150 pixels or dots per inch so 1500 X 1995 converts to 10" X 13.3". The way I read the instructions say that you send the image with size no less than 10" X 13.3". So you can send larger than that size then specify what actual size you want printed to meet your requirement.

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At 150 dpi resolution means there are 150 pixels or dots per inch so 1500 X 1995 converts to 10" X 13.3". The way I read the instructions say that you send the image with size no less than 10" X 13.3". So you can send larger than that size then specify what actual size you want printed to meet your requirement.
Thanks, when I looked at a conversion I used 300 DPI since I wasn't sure why they would want 150 DPI. That's where I came up with the approx. 5" x 6" image size.

I've gotten used to everywhere else saying export at 300 DPI (I typically export PNG) and then give me a print area. For example I export to Spreadshirt at about 14" x 14.5" and the image reduces fine for mugs, mouse pads, etc. When I added a similar size image to Teepublic it did not fit in the image drop and drag box.

I didn't do myself any favors by trying to research as I ran into articles referencing DPI, PPI, inches and the impact of one on the other. As it is probably obvious this not my specialty. :D

It almost seems like I'll need to do some trial and error building products in their website.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
Thanks, when I looked at a conversion I used 300 DPI since I wasn't sure why they would want 150 DPI. That's where I came up with the approx. 5" x 6" image size.

I've gotten used to everywhere else saying export at 300 DPI (I typically export PNG) and then give me a print area. For example I export to Spreadshirt at about 14" x 14.5" and the image reduces fine for mugs, mouse pads, etc. When I added a similar size image to Teepublic it did not fit in the image drop and drag box.

I didn't do myself any favors by trying to research as I ran into articles referencing DPI, PPI, inches and the impact of one on the other. As it is probably obvious this not my specialty. :D

It almost seems like I'll need to do some trial and error building products in their website.
Pixel translate to dots and DPI is dot per inch that is the information I got from the internet. You have to tell the vendor you want 300 dpi output back. Send 14" X 14.5" at 300 dpi. So it should comeback to you the same size. The good thing about high resolution like 300 dpi is it can be resized without suffering the quality of the image.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.