T-Shirt Forums banner

What should Solmu have for dinner tonight?

• Chinese takeaway

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Fish n' Chips

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Pizza

Votes: 3 27.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those are my options because they're all within a 45 second walk. Anything else I'd have to have delivered, which seems like needless hassle.

I already had Chinese twice this week (including last night), though not from the place around the corner (never been there).

The Fish n' Chip place looks pretty terrible (haven't tried it since moving here three months ago).

The pizza place is excellent, but I ate there just under a week ago (six days) and will probably be eating there tomorrow. Did I mention it is extremely excellent?

As a point of trivia, Chinese means crossing no roads, Fish n' Chips one road, and pizza two roads.

This is beginning to sound like one of those maths problems... if Jody lives in the red house with the green door, and Phil has a house that is neither red nor yellow...

Ah, decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The main point here is you're planning to eat take-away 5 days out of 7.

You are a terrible, terrible, human being.

SOLMU'S LIST OF THINGS TO DO.

1) Get up on Sunday.

2) Go to Victoria Markets.

3) Buy a week's worth of vegetables, meats, fruits, and cheeses for the same as 2 of those takeaways.

4) Produce 14 meals for the same cost, more fun, much tastier, and much much more healthy.

5) Profit.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Although I voted fish&chips.

You should do something new every day (and something that scares you).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
And point 8....

One year of takeaways at, say, $15 a time, at you current consumption, is about $AUS4000.

Enough to start a tshirt business.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, not quite.

It's more a case of the better cook being out for the night, and me not having bought the ingredients for the few things I can adequately cook :)

(we actually do most of our shopping at Coburg market... much closer and cheaper. When we moved here our food cost pretty much halved, and the quality at least quadrupled. I drool just thinking about that market.)

Health is part of the reason I haven't been to the fish n' chip place since moving in. Australian tradition or not, it sure is greasy.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
monkeylantern said:
You should do something new every day (and something that scares you).
Well fish n' chips does scare me...

monkeylantern said:
One year of takeaways at, say, $15 a time, at you current consumption, is about $AUS4000.
Takeaway at our current consumption is probably about $1250 a year. Still not insignificant.

My lunch budget for the week is about $8 though, which helps :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I also voted Fish 'n Chips for two reasons - one of which has not a whit to do with your situation!
1) You haven't tried it yet, so even though it looks terrible, at least if you try it you'll know one way or the other
2) The suggestion reminded me of the massive fish 'n chip craving I had while pregnant and made me vaguely want fish and chips...

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the Fish n' Chips vote proved to have overwhelming public support, polling on average 200% more votes than any other competitor.

If that is the way the wind is blowing, let it not be said that I do not also blow.

I was particularly reluctant to try the fish n' chippery because the previous two houses I lived in were near very good ones (one in Chapel St, the other in Mitcham Rd). While this didn't measure up to those, it was decent.

Their burgers would seem to be very good, but like almost every fish n' chip place I've ever been to, "no lettuce" doesn't seem to translate into their local dialect. Their fish is standard (nothing special, not cardboard), their chips crappy. They are cheap. Better than the place we went to down the road when this one was closed (their opening hours are fairly comical).

Overall, a meh on the meh to Meh scale.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, what has everyone else been eating lately? :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Hummm...we just had that Stoffers family sized frozen lasagna. If you add a healthy salad some french bread and a nice glass of vino it goes down pretty good. In your pole the fish n chips is the adventure!

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I voted fish n chips because I haven't had decent fish n chips in over 20 years.

Last night I had turkey burgers that my wife cooked. Tonight, I'll probably barbeque some carne asada or rib eye steak (I guess that's almost a redundant choice).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tonite is my weekly get together with some of the Men from my church (there are four of us) each week a different person cooks up a meal and does a lesson ala Rachel Ray on FoodNetwork we also try to make the lesson into a bible lesson. So I have no Idea what I am having tonite. (My last cooking day for them I made Chili Cheese Omlettes french style)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mmm, this thread is making me hungry :) (okay, not the oatmeal so much... sorry!)

Rodney said:
Last night I had turkey burgers that my wife cooked.
I've never had turkey burgers, but they sound nice. In Australia turkey is something that's traditionally eaten at Christmas, and rarely eaten at any other time. You can buy sliced turkey for sandwhich meat at any deli or supermarket, but buying "a turkey" to cook, or turkey sausages (I assume those exist), etc. would be difficult.

So what is a turkey burger? Is it turkey mince like a regular burger, or a slab of turkey like a steak sandwhich?

And while I'm at it... what's funnel cake?

I always find it interesting how food varies so subtly from one part of the world to another. You would expect Japanese cuisine to be different to ours for example, but it's amazing how different a lot of American and Australian staples are (steak and chips is probably universal, but you'd be hard pressed to find an Australian who would put tobasco on that - I get the impression that wouldn't be as unusual in the US?).

·
Registered
255 Posts
funnel cake- Think fried bread, sugar, powdered sugar, hot oil, and sugar.
Death on a paper plate, but, mmmmmm! Good.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've never had fried bread, so I remain sceptical :)

I suppose that could be kind of like a doughnut? (more the bakery kind, not so much the Krispy Kreme processed and glazed kind)

·
Registered
190 Posts
According to my hubby (born in Texas), to doughnuts we're used to here don't exist in America, so I'm not sure the comparison works? (Then again, I've never been to the States, so he could be feeding me a line!)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.