T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm a beginner at screen printing work, I'm trying with plastisol inks first. I'm trying to get my prints to look smooth and feel smooth. But, I am having a hard time getting the desired result.

The feel of the print is rough. I have tried mixing thinners/reducers with plastisol inks but I don't know the exact amount. I read somewhere that I shouldn't add more than 3% clear reducer with plastisol inks and I read somewhere that I shouldn't mix more than 10% clear reducer. Very confusing for me!!!!

Note that I am not talking about Curable reducer. As it is not available here in India. If it's available here too, I don't know what it's called here. I am very confused if it is available here or not. The only thing I have is clear reducer.

I am not satisfied with the feel of the prints. I want the prints to feel smooth to the touch and soft hand feel. Can anyone suggest me what should I do????

· Registered
4,505 Posts
I read somewhere that I shouldn't add more than 3% clear reducer with plastisol inks and I read somewhere that I shouldn't mix more than 10% clear reducer. Very confusing for me!!!!
The percentage depends on their composition.
If the reducer bottle says up to 10% you can add 10%.

Note that I am not talking about Curable reducer. As it is not available here in India. If it's available here too, I don't know what it's called here. I am very confused if it is available here or not. The only thing I have is clear reducer.
You need curable reducer, and it's easy to find.
Call a manufacturer/supplier of plastisol ink in India, and ask where you can buy it.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The percentage depends on their composition.
If the reducer bottle says up to 10% you can add 10%.

You need curable reducer, and it's easy to find.
Call a manufacturer/supplier of plastisol ink in India, and ask where you can buy it.
I asked some suppliers about the curable reducers but they don't know what I am talking about. So, I thought they might be selling that product by some other name here in India which I don't know.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Head Textile Sleeve Art T-shirt

I asked some suppliers about the curable reducers but they don't know what I am talking about. So, I thought they might be selling that product by some other name here in India which I don't know.
You can see here. The surface looks and feels rough. I know I am doing it wrong. I just not able find curable reducer here. Some suppliers said that I could mix Plastisol clear gel which I don't know what it is and some one said Plastisol HD Base which I don't know either.

· Registered
4,505 Posts
You can see here. The surface looks and feels rough.
Plastisol is not the best ink for this
Have a look here.

Some suppliers said that I could mix Plastisol clear gel which I don't know what it is and some one said Plastisol HD Base which I don't know either.
These are for high density prints, like this...
Outerwear Jersey Sleeve Grey T-shirt

Not necessarily that thick, but you get the idea.

Maybe they (or I) have not understood what you are trying to do.
You want the ink to be absorbed by the fabric, or you want to have the print with a flat surface?

· Registered
101 Posts
You could always try to heat press the garments after they've been printed. It'll smooth it out a lot. But if you're looking for soft hand, water based is better for that. Plastisol is gonna have some weight to it.

· Registered
7 Posts
For the underbase white, instead of a solid white covering the entire image, knock out the black and any other dark colors that you can. Also for CMYK, remove the CMY from under the K as that will reduce a shiny black.

· Registered
14 Posts
You could always try to heat press the garments after they've been printed. It'll smooth it out a lot. But if you're looking for soft hand, water based is better for that. Plastisol is gonna have some weight to it.
Make sure if you do this that you are using teflon sheet if you want a shiny look or parchment paper for the matte look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts