T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a novice at this, but I've been reading the forum for a while.

I have a very simple design (it's really only text - no pictures). However, I want to be able to customize the text on each shirt for customers.

Could someone recommend the best production method? I was looking into DTG printers, but I'm not sure if that's the direction I should go in.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say that a heat press with a vinyl cutter would be a good choice for customizing one off text only designs.
Thank you very much for your response!

I will do more research into a vinyl cutter, but do you think that I would be able to customize them myself, or is DTG better for doing that? I would hate to have to wait for some third party to produce the design and then send it back to me before I can print the shirt . . .

Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Thank you very much for your response!

I will do more research into a vinyl cutter, but do you think that I would be able to customize them myself, or is DTG better for doing that? I would hate to have to wait for some third party to produce the design and then send it back to me before I can print the shirt . . .

Thank you again!
The DTG machine is just a printer. A method of getting the design on the t-shirts.

The vinyl cutter is just a cutter, the heat press is the method of getting the design on the t-shirts.

Neither method will "help you customize the design yourself".

To customize designs, you need graphic design software. That is where the customization happens. Just like when you customize an essay, you type it out in desktop publishing software like Microsoft Word, your printer that you print it out on doesn't customize it for you.

best software related topics at T-Shirt Forums

With both methods (DTG and Vinyl cutter with heat press), you can make the customized t-shirt yourself. For what you described though, I felt that a vinyl cutter and a heat press would be best.

You can see the process of making a t-shirt with a vinyl cutter and a heat press here:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt-crossover-diary-heat-press-newbie/t10363.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The DTG machine is just a printer. A method of getting the design on the t-shirts.

The vinyl cutter is just a cutter, the heat press is the method of getting the design on the t-shirts.

Neither method will "help you customize the design yourself".

To customize designs, you need graphic design software. That is where the customization happens. Just like when you customize an essay, you type it out in desktop publishing software like Microsoft Word, your printer that you print it out on doesn't customize it for you.

best software related topics at T-Shirt Forums

With both methods (DTG and Vinyl cutter with heat press), you can make the customized t-shirt yourself. For what you described though, I felt that a vinyl cutter and a heat press would be best.

You can see the process of making a t-shirt with a vinyl cutter and a heat press here:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt-crossover-diary-heat-press-newbie/t10363.html
Thank you so much, Rodney! This is very helpful and I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ditto Rodney's recommendation. Vinyl will be your best solution if you're just doing text and I think you'll be happy with the results. But to use a cutter you'll need software that will allow you to produce vector output that a cutter will need to cut the vinyl. With a cutter, heat press and software to produce vector output you'll be well on your way. Customizing text with either Corel or Adobe Illustrator is very easy and there are lots of people here on the forum that'll be glad to assist however we can! Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts