T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a newbe, I am looking for some advice as to what printer to purchase.
I understand that I have to print to some sort of media before pressing on to the item.
I would like to be able to use my images on mugs, tshirts (poly/cotton mix, 100 poly and 100 cotton) flasks and drinking thermal mugs.

Not sure if that is a tall order and would appreciate any advice or pointing in the right direction.
Many thanks
Simon

· Administrator
18,443 Posts
You can't get all that done with 1 printer.

Read up here on Sublimation. That would be a stand-alone printer that would allow you to sublimate mugs, poly shirts, etc.

100% cotton would need a separate printer, with pigment ink. And separate type of transfer paper.

You'll also need two diffeent heat sources. One to press flat items like clothing. And a separate one to cure hard substrates like mugs.

· Registered
5,412 Posts
Simon.

You would need multiple printers. First a sublimation printer such as the Virtuoso for printing 100% polyester, mugs, flasks, etc. You would then need an inkjet, laser or Chromablast printer for the other fabrics that you mentioned.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice. Thought that might be the case. I have identified the following printer: Sawgrass Virtuoso SG400 A4 - hoping this will cover everything apart from the tshirts.
Is there any reason why I would not go for that or suggest an alternative.
Thanks

· Registered
327 Posts
Being a newbe, I am looking for some advice as to what printer to purchase.
I understand that I have to print to some sort of media before pressing on to the item.
I would like to be able to use my images on mugs, tshirts (poly/cotton mix, 100 poly and 100 cotton) flasks and drinking thermal mugs.

Not sure if that is a tall order and would appreciate any advice or pointing in the right direction.
Many thanks
Simon
The OKI White Toner printer is your only option for doing ALL those things with one printer!

· Registered
28 Posts
On your computer, go to "you tube".
Search for Sublimation printing, T-shirt printing both(cotton and poly-fabrics), heat presses for mugs and heat presses for T-shirts.
The webinars will enlighten you in the differences of printers and final finishes to products. You need to know and understand these differences before you outlay for expensive machines. Transfer paper called "Forever transfer" will achieve the results that you ask for with the heat presses but the "finishes" will differ to sublimation. Some printing on the Forever light color no-weed and foils, Hard Surfaces transfer papers are possible to achieve on an inexpensive laser color printer so long as the printer runs at low temperatures that will not melt the transfer paper
call me Alan

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the advice and support.
Ive narrowed it all down to producing Garments with DTG and nearly everything else with either one of the two printers below. Problem now is what printer do I go for as the price difference is quite different. I also understand that the software plays a big part in all this and just want a solution that is simple to use.

So ive adjusted my service offering to. Garments with DTG and occasional transfer and then mugs, flasks and alike on one of the following.

Please advice if you would not mind which one to go for or a suitable alternative.
1. OKI Pro7411WT
2. Sawgrass Virtuoso SG400 A4
3. a suitable other

Many thanks

· Registered
28 Posts
The OKI Pro7411WT will provide printing onto DIFFERENT transfer papers for use on
1. Light fabric (t-shirts) 2. Dark fabrics (t-shirts) 3 Hard surfaces (mugs, flasks etc,)
These done correctly will provide a graphic ONTO the surfaces of the above substrates. You will "feel" the transfer (although light) on the shirts and the hard surfaces - mugs, bottles etc.

The Sawgrass Virtuoso SG400 A4 with dye sublimation inks will do the same substrates BUT WITH A TWO MAJOR DIFFERENCES:-
1. The fabrics need to be polyester or a mix of cotton and poly. The mugs, flask and flat surfaces need to be coated with poly.
2. The inks will PENETRATE the surfaces and become one with the substrate. Permanent & Forever embedded and inseparable. You cannot feel the inks on any of the products because they are now part of the product.

Please visit Dye Sublimation on this forum.

If you went for the Sawgrass Printer and dye sub inks, you could eliminate the DTG printer and its high cost. You would be confined to working on poly T-shirts though. However, an inexpensive Epson inkjet printer (which most people used for the last 10 or more years, will cover the cotton T-shirt orders.
You will still need a heat press for cups/caps/bottles and one for t-shirts. ( a low cost compared to a DTG printer.)
Hope this helps.

· Registered
6,573 Posts
Thanks for all the advice so far, very much appreciated. So im 99% going with the OKI Pro7411WT

Has anyone got anything negative to share with me on the OKI Pro7411WT

Thanks Simon
Having owned both inkjet (pigment and dye sub) and Oki Laser (regular toner and dye sub) ....

While the Oki can do hard surfaces with regular toner and hard goods transfer paper those transfers are inferior to sublimation.

There are advantages to using uncoated hard goods by using laser toner in terms of substrate sourcing but some items like mugs are functional and not strictly decorative. For example mugs need to be washed. While not all sub mugs are not capable of being washed in a dishwasher, there are many sub coated mugs that are.

Toner mugs are not as durable. Oki's do not output photo quality so using them for photo novelty (pics of babies on a mug for granny) the imaging is inferior. Photo image quality on tiles and other hard good substrates sublimation with the higher DPI is superior. Logos and text it might not matter but the commercial photo novelty industry never adopted laser toner as the solution by and large. If you go to Walgreens or Walmart or Cafe Press you will not get a laser toner mug or tile.

While mousepads are capable of being made by laser toner transfer or even inkjet pigment transfers these too are functional surfaces, sublimation is is not a "sticker" and no one in the commercial mainstream uses laser toner or inkjet pigment with traditional transfer paper like used on tshirts for the mousepads either.

To give laser toner any hardness at all it must be post baked after it is pressed. And even with that the surface on mugs are not as good as the better sublimation coated mugs are.

Also, regarding tshirts, ask yourself the question, if these white toner printers are less than half price of a White DTG why isn't the DTG printer market been obsoleted by white laser toner printers? The tshirts are not as good and they cost more to make.

While it may be true that you could make anything and everything on a white laser toner printer, it doesn't mean you should. Especially in competitive markets.

There are no viable all in one solutions in this business.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.