T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so i want to start printing tshirts via heat transfer. I`ve been reading about printers but im not sure what should i buy. I know that i need a pigment inkjet printer but i can`t seem to find one in my country. Another thing i want to know is if i get a printer like one of the Epson Ecotank line and i put pigment ink in the tanks is the head going to clog up or will it be just fine.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
All Epson heads can print pigment inks. But heads can always clog, regardless of ink used. You want to print something that uses all 4 colors at least once a week. I have a simple file I made that is nothing but a few squares of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black.

More importantly, what color shirts do you want to use, and how long do you want these things to last? And does handfeel matter?

JPSS for lights works well on white shirts, and okay on light colors--IF you trim around the design so you don't have a "box" around the art (the transparent transfer layer darkens the shirt a bit, which is noticeable on any color other than white).

For dark shirts, there isn't a paper that is both durable and nice feeling. Transfers for dark garments have to include their own white underbase layer, which tends to result in stiff/heavy feeling prints that are not all that durable.

·
Registered
Sublistar is a professional supplier of digital printing equipments and supplies.
4 Posts
You need to figure out the difference between sublimation printing, screen printing, DTG printing, etc., as well as the quantity you want to print and the size of the printer you need. And if you want to import, you need to arrange an import license in advance or find one agent to help you . Of course, if the size is small, it can be shipped by air. By the way, DTF printing is very popular recently. You can have a try.

·
Registered
190 Posts
All Epson heads can print pigment inks. But heads can always clog, regardless of ink used. You want to print something that uses all 4 colors at least once a week. I have a simple file I made that is nothing but a few squares of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black.

More importantly, what color shirts do you want to use, and how long do you want these things to last? And does handfeel matter?

JPSS for lights works well on white shirts, and okay on light colors--IF you trim around the design so you don't have a "box" around the art (the transparent transfer layer darkens the shirt a bit, which is noticeable on any color other than white).

For dark shirts, there isn't a paper that is both durable and nice feeling. Transfers for dark garments have to include their own white underbase layer, which tends to result in stiff/heavy feeling prints that are not all that durable.
I have also been wonder what the OP posted. Epson told me only use the inks they sell specifically for the printer but they only say that for warranty purposes and to sell ink.

Where can I buy Epson pigmented ink? I have an ET-15000 sitting here doing nothing.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I have also been wonder what the OP posted. Epson told me only use the inks they sell specifically for the printer but they only say that for warranty purposes and to sell ink.

Where can I buy Epson pigmented ink? I have an ET-15000 sitting here doing nothing.
The ET-15000 comes with Epson's DuraBrite ink, which is pigment ink.

Unless you put third-party ink in it already, it has pigment ink in it now. Just keep buying the ink part# Epson lists for the printer and you are good to go.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
The ET-15000 comes with Epson's DuraBrite ink, which is pigment ink.

Unless you put third-party ink in it already, it has pigment ink in it now. Just keep buying the ink part# Epson lists for the printer and you are good to go.
The ET-15000 came with T502ink and on their site shows the T502as the compatible ink. Also on the ink cover says T502.

Only the black T502 ink is pigmented, the colors in the 502 inks are dye based. The ET-16600 uses the T542 ink which is pigment based. Epson has really made all this so confusing.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The ET-15000 came with T502ink and on their site shows the T502as the compatible ink. Also on the ink cover says T502.

Only the black T502 ink is pigmented, the colors in the 502 inks are dye based. The ET-16600 uses the T542 ink which is pigment based. Epson has really made all this so confusing.
Wow. You are right about confusing. I knew some of the inks used pigment for black and dye for the colors, which is why I attempted to verify which is was ... but even their own site mislead me.

Well, back to your question then. I used Cobra pigment ink in my Epson WF-7210. But I imagine InkOwl and Comos has it too.

You could buy the T542 ink. It wouldn't blow up your printer. However, it also would not be color balanced to work with the drivers of the ET-15000. So it might be a better idea to buy a third-party ink that comes with an ICC profile or is designed to be color accurate on your printer without a profile.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow. You are right about confusing. I knew some of the inks used pigment for black and dye for the colors, which is why I attempted to verify which is was ... but even their own site mislead me.

Well, back to your question then. I used Cobra pigment ink in my Epson WF-7210. But I imagine InkOwl and Comos has it too.

You could buy the T542 ink. It wouldn't blow up your printer. However, it also would not be color balanced to work with the drivers of the ET-15000. So it might be a better idea to buy a third-party ink that comes with an ICC profile or is designed to be color accurate on your printer without a profile.
Yeah it is a little less than honest advertising by Epson. I am gonna try the Cobra ink.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Maggster,

Have you checked Epson Stylus C88 + Color Inkjet Printer? It has pigment inks and four individual cartridges. You can find it online or import it.

Another option that I would suggest is Epson Workforce WF-7110. An Inkjet printer with pigment inks.

As for clogging, if you don't maintain and clean it, it would clog, whether it's pigment or dye.

However, dye or pigment pro printers eliminate the question of head clog. Even if you leave it for a week or so, printers would bounce back and give a perfect check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts