T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Costs me around $7.50 to buy and print the shirts. Now, I'm going to make a wholesale catalog for stores that approach me. I'm going to have the min. amount of shirts they can buy in one size 50.

is 10-12 dollars asking for too much?

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
$10-$12 sounds like a lot for a wholesale price (some t-shirts sell for that at retail).

The retail store will want to make the lionshare of the profit on the sale since they are putting out the most risk in the transaction (stocking them in their store, paying for the in advance, etc). I've read that they want to mark up the wholesale price by 100%.

You may want to get better pricing on the shirts for larger quantities and try basing your whoelsale pricing based on that sliding scale (the more shirts they buy, the less expensive the per shirt cost will be).

Then again, maybe smaller boutique shops are used to paying $10-12 for a t-shirt when they are going to sell it in their shop for $24+

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
I'm currently in negotiations with a chain of retail stores to sell a couple of my shirts. I have been retailing them myself for $25 (and that is what they will be on my site), and the store owner is thinking in the $10-$11 range. So it's not impossible.

Geoff, I wouldn't put the 50 minimum restriction on them though. If they want to buy three, I say let'em. At least you are getting the exposure of having them in the store!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've found that retailers generally want 100% markup when they sell your product, so they double the price they bought from you. The consignment agreement I have is 60/40, which seems standard also. This is from a smaller retailer with about 6 stores, so I'm guessing 50% of your price point is where it starts and then goes down from there based on volume.

B.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello,

This is my first time posting. First of all, Thanks for all the great insight! I'm just getting into this on a larger scale. For awhile I've been doing specialty shirts for various groups with small orders of 50-100. I'm starting a clothing line now and have booked my first retailer at 1000 shirts. :) I was not expecting this outcome so fast and now I'm scrambling to get all my facts in place. From what I've read in the forums, I know the standard is 50% of retail price, but how do you determine how much to discount off of that based on quantity ordered? Do I charge 50% of retail regardless of quantity ordered whether it be 50 or 1000 shirts. Is there a specific formula or standard to determine this percentage? Thanks for any input!

Also, is it necessary to get insurance if the shirt still has the tag of the manufacturer (i.e. gildan, hanes, AA) I'm just starting out so, I do not have the budget yet to relabel, insure and put retail tags. Man, it's all happening so fast and I'm buggin out just seeing all that is involved with getting product sold for retail. Any input as to what is a must or what I can get by with until I have a more steady flow of income. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what I've read in the forums, I know the standard is 50% of retail price, but how do you determine how much to discount off of that based on quantity ordered? Do I charge 50% of retail regardless of quantity ordered whether it be 50 or 1000 shirts. Is there a specific formula or standard to determine this percentage? Thanks for any input!
i have been searching this forum (very helpful by the way) trying to find an answer to this question. i have heard some people say wholesale price is wholesale price regardless of quantity. others say use a sliding scale.

if there is a scale, how do you determine that scale?

thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Costs me around $7.50 to buy and print the shirts. Now, I'm going to make a wholesale catalog for stores that approach me. I'm going to have the min. amount of shirts they can buy in one size 50.

is 10-12 dollars asking for too much?
Geoff,

This is a very complicated question and there are several different answers depending on your product and target market. What works for one product may not work for another, so there is no definitive answer or 'magic formula' that encompasses every wholesaler/retailer relationship.

A couple of scenarios:

My company uses a 'the more you buy the better the discount' pricing structure at the wholesale level. In other words, the guy that buys 2 dozen shirts (our minimum) is not going to pay the same price as the guy that buys 100 dozen.

Another factor is who you are wholesaling to and what type of product you are selling. If you are buying blank shirts and throwing a generic print on it, you are not going to get much for your product at a wholesale level from any retailer. If you have something unique, on a QUALITY shirt, you can ask, and get, more for your product.

Another VERY important factor is who you are actually wholesaling to. If you are selling to a boutique type reseller, you will get a bit more than selling to a t-shirt shop. If you are trying to sell to Wal-Mart, you are screwed from the get go, because THEY will dictate what price they will pay regardless of what it costs you to manufacture your goods.

As far as asking $10-12 for a shirt at wholesale, it is definitely doable, IF you are wholesaling a quality product, with a quality print. How you break down your pricing structure is totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts