T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What pressure washer do you recommend. For two years we owned a Karcher, 1500 psi. It's done with, doesn't work anymore. So I want to see what you can say before I buy another one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just bought a generic one off ebay for 11$ new. 45$ shipping, but still can't beat that with a stick. No complaints with it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i went thru 5 of the karchers in 6 months. luckily i had a warranty and was able to replace them each time. finally i applied the cost of th karcher to a northern tool brand "real" one with a 5hp motor and an industrial pump. it was pricey, ($400 before the warranty) but built well and i loved it. someone else loved it too and stole it out of my backyard. i used my dad's washout at his sign shop for a while and then bought a husky and was washing screens at home again. it lasted a month untill the o-rings blew out in the handle and i then bit the bullet and bought another northern tool one. i've since built a washout booth in the garage, so i shouldn't have to worry about it getting stolen.

this is the newer model, i lucked out and bought the last one of the older kind for $50 cheaper than the current one!!

the best thing is that these are rebuildable. it will be years before i have to do that i hope.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I suggest any washer you buy should have a Honda motor, they last forever. I have been using Honda small engines for seeral years with no issues. The Tecumseh and Briggs&sratton motors are not as durable. I also would use a washer with a kohler motor too. .... JB

·
Registered
456 Posts
I got a nice small electric model from TSC and it has worked great for over 10 years now. I think I paid around $400 at the time.

I have been on the lookout for a new one just in case this one gives up the ghost.

Those home use sprayers don't last, as you well know.

I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have the same model Mac has. Great little machine. Well built.

I went through 4 of the cheaper ones within 2 years. I'm pretty sure in 2 years this one will still be running strong. And I use it A LOT!

·
Registered
268 Posts
The box store (home depot, lowes etc) washers (pump/engine) are built to last approx 100 hrs. Just for doing screens it should last several years for most shops. High volume shops that reclaim many screens might want to look at a commercial machine.
Belt driven pressure washers are the best value for a few different reasons: (1)The belts help asborb the shock from the engine that in direct & belt drive units transmit directly to the pump. (2)The pump speed is greatly reduced causing less wear to

·
Registered
675 Posts
Get an inexpensive model from Home Depot & purchase the extended warranty. If it lasts longer than the 2 or 3 year extended warranty, then you got good service out of a $100 product. If it doesn't last that long, return it, and you'll get a new one. Purchase the extended warranty for that new one, and just keep going along.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm confused, because I started out last year with a pressure washer (Karcher), and when through 3 of them before switching brands only to discover that the spray wand just wasn't going to work.

We were in the middle of production when the last one went out and the new brand didn't work for me, so I just got a fancy garden sprayer with about 8 settings on it to hook up to my hose so I could get going again and look for another pressure washer later. That was 4 months ago, and we are still using the garden sprayer, which is working just fine. I know it shouldn't be, but the "mist" setting works great for washing out my 280 screens, and the "flat" setting works for the 200's and below, and a combination of "shower" and "flat" works great for cleaning, reclaiming and de-hazing, with occasional help from "center" when I need a needle spray.

Am I wasting water? If so, is that the only reason I should replace the pressure washer, or are there others? Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Am I wasting water?
Probably.

If so, is that the only reason I should replace the pressure washer, or are there others?
Off the top of my head there are three reasons to use a pressure washer.

1) Water saving
2) They're effective
3) They last.

All of these vary, because it depends on what you're using, what alternatives you would otherwise be using, and how you're using them. As this thread shows, many people do in fact have problems with pressure washers breaking down.

You've found two and three to not apply in your case. So if you current system is working it seems fair to say water usage would be the only reason to change.

If you're getting high pressure out of the hose attachment though, it might be restricting flow and not using too much water anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts