T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im from Australia. Trying to find out what type of silkscreen press to purchase. Could anyone please help me ? Have about $1500 US to spend, but having trouble finding equipment in Aust. What brand is easy to use but maintains quality. Also what else do i need to start production ? Could find a bit more capital (Bank of Mum). Thanks for all replys in advance.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
that's a great question.

I'm not sure on the answer, but hopefully some of the screen printers in the forum can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Try this website, http://boards.screenprinters.net/Several great used presses there under private classifieds. Lawson, Workhorse, RJennings, etc. Just beware that alot of people make home-made presses that don't really hold up to "business use". $1500 should get you a decent 4 color 4 station press, but you will also need a flash unit, and should have a conveyer dryer. Another thousand should get you all of that in used but good condition (don't know about shipping to the down under though). Good luck

·
Registered
243 Posts
This will blow your budget, but the best stystem for the $$$!

If you're new at printing, their patent pending Slim Line Exposure Unit and Pin-Aligned Screens allow you to burn your screen directly on the print arm (where the product is printed), remove it for wash out, dry it and replace it on the press in precisely the same position, eliminating costly set up time.

Sure, you might have to invest 3K more than you intended, but w/ theses features it saves you a ton of time. Time is money! I would guess that you'll make back the difference in one to three months!

http://www.printa.com/systems/770_std.html

·
Registered
61 Posts
I didn't quite understand how you said the process works regarding the exposure unit and burning the screens. I looked at the link but it appeared to be a standard system. Can you explain it again......................anything to shorten the lengthy process would be great though. Thanks again

·
Registered
382 Posts
EngBulldog said:
I didn't quite understand how you said the process works regarding the exposure unit and burning the screens. I looked at the link but it appeared to be a standard system. Can you explain it again......................anything to shorten the lengthy process would be great though. Thanks again
I was looking into buying this as well, I saw them at the ISS show in long beach. Great system, but very expensive, also shipping to me from washington to californis is about 400 bucks.

Anyway, the way it works is really cool, where the platen would go on the press you put an exposure unit on there, put the screen on, bring it down and expose. So you're exposing directly on the press. And the screens have these pins on them that hook into the press so you don't have to reregister ever.

The rep told me their screens are like $30 a pop and will yield about 1000 prints. You ship them back to them for restretching. You can however you standard screens as well if you like if you have something like a 1 color print to do and don't need the fancy registration.

Being in the same boat with a limited budget I'm thinking about going with Ranar www.ranar.com. I've read they have a very high quality press and it's smaller than most so it'll fit in my garage where I plan on doing printing. A 4-color 4-station runs about $2300.

·
Registered
134 Posts
O.k. Good question.
I have used and sold some great presses in my time.
Best was made by Hopkins international.
Full cast ali heads with full micro registration loads of different shirt boards ect.
These can be picked up a good prices second hand. look out for cracks in heads and wear in bearings.

M+R Chameleon. The "in" press in the u.k. at the moment, probably above your buget but worth a look. You can have up to 10 colours.

Rotex is a good sturdy machine that wont let you down. Good second hand prices.

Workhorse. Great copy of a hopkins machine. good second hand prices.

Hope this helps.
Phil

·
Registered
382 Posts
Phil, know anything about Ranar? They make a smaller press than the workhorse which would be great for my garage. I've read they are pretty good quality, what do you think?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry I've not come across this make.

Things to look for in press.
It should be sturdy, put a screen in the clamp and lay it down as if you were printing a shirt and push down on the end of the screen. There should be as little flex as possible.
The clamp should hold the frame securly and not move the frame when tightening up.
Micro reg is an essential in my opinion.
Always try to get a full range of adult, kids and sleeve boards and a cap attatchment, as well as a jacket hold down frame. You can then offer the full works to clubs schools ect
Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts