T-Shirt Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Looks like a one color screen print. As far as equipment, you'd need a press, ink, screens, and the usual other equipment.

I'm not that familiar with heat transfers...I don't think they work well on dark shirts, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can also use a vinyl cutter and apparel vinyl, heat pressed on to the shirt.

Actually, I've had decent luck with undersize (smaller than 8.5 x 11) opaque transfers. There are a number of techniques to use that help the longevity of these opaques. My husband has a shirt with a full size pizza image on the back of it that has been washed at least 15-17 times. It still looks great, I'll take it to work today and scan/photograph it if anyone wants to see. He also has another shirt with a pocket size logo that has been worn and washed 20-25 times and still looks very good...

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would use cut vinyl for this in smaller quantities, like 25 of less.
Of course you have to have the equipment to do it.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Buy an iron. Or buy a piece of equipment. I bought a small press for under 350.. I got the job done but I had to spend more time making sure the tees were getting printed correctly. I made enough money on the business I got to buy a new press yesterday.. Now I feel I made the right choice.. if you have about 650 for press and another 100 bucks for a printer then add a nice design program and I figure you have the computer your in business. By the way everything is a write off...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
badalou said:
Buy an iron. Or buy a piece of equipment. I bought a small press for under 350.. I got the job done but I had to spend more time making sure the tees were getting printed correctly. I made enough money on the business I got to buy a new press yesterday.. Now I feel I made the right choice.. if you have about 650 for press and another 100 bucks for a printer then add a nice design program and I figure you have the computer your in business. By the way everything is a write off...
i dont want to do designs would i need anyhting specific for printing words and phrases

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would also say that the cheapest way would be to make the text some color other than white and press it onto a white shirt.

I would also say that anyone that is thinking about making more than ONE or TWO shirts for just themselves should forget about the iron idea. Irons are just not good for making quality tees. You will never get the correct even pressure or heat that is really needed.

The cheapest smallest press available now matter what brand it is will be better than the best iron.

·
Registered
950 Posts
By the way Fresh, that font in your example is called Arial Rounded MT Bold.

·
Registered
950 Posts
fresh said:
so a press would be best? what would anyone recommend?
How much money do you have for a press?

I'm sure we could give you a better answer if we knew what your price range is.

·
Registered
950 Posts
OK, that's more than I thought you were going to say, so I'll save you a bunch of money. You can get a Hix Presto 15 x 15 for just over $600 brand new! You can save even more with a used or reconditioned one.

You can get a Stahls Mighty Press Porta Press 11 × 15 for just under $450 brand new.

You can do simple text designs in a program as simple as WordPad. I know you have WordPad on your computer.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Get an Epson C86 or C88. They are cheap and are very popular for this purpose.

I thought we told you this stuff already. :D

I'm trying to predict your next question. LOL :)

Transjet 2 transfer paper also known as MagicJet depending on where you get it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol...good call that was my next question...lol
one more question so how does the whole process go? is it first type what you want on word pad. then print it out with epson. then press it on with hix presto? i guess now that i typed it out it was pretty obvious..lol

·
Registered
950 Posts
OK, here are the steps to recreate that design in a program as simple as WordPad, keeping in mind that you want to keep it simple.

1. Open WordPad
2. Type the same text that is in your example as shown above.

3. Highlight the text and change the font to Arial Rounded MT Bold in this case, or what ever you like if you don't have that font.

4. With the text still highlighted, change the font size to 110. (You have to type that in yourself since the drop down box only goes to 72.)

5. Now, only highlight the words my friend, and change the font size to 133 to get the same result as in your example.

6. Click on FILE, then PAGE SETUP and change it to Landscape, and also change all the margins to 0.5

7. Highlight all the text and click FORMAT and then PARAGRAPH and change the alignment to Center.

8. Add a space before the word my to line it up correctly.

9. Highlight all the text and change the color to anything you like besides white.

10. Click FILE and PRINT PREVIEW to see what you have so far.

11. If you like what you see, then print it onto a regular sheet of paper as a test. If you like it still, then print it onto your transfer paper and press it onto a light colored shirt.

If we were not trying to get close to your example, you could have done anything you like except the following...

In WordPad, you cannot change the page color to something other than white, so you can't really play around with white letters to make an opaque transfer sheet for darks. You also cannot change some font formating like the kerning (space between the letters) or the space between the lines of text.

However, you can see that we came pretty close to what you have shown and the program to do it is already on everyones computer. You can do so much more with text (and clipart) if you have WORD.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so with word pad you can only print on lights tees? what would i need to print on dark shirts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.