T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandering mesh would be best for dark inks on light garments?
I want a light coat with a matte finish. I find to ink much looks glossy.

How should I flood and stroke? One stroke?

Is anyone using wilflex? How do you like it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
fxmaster said:
Just wandering mesh would be best for dark inks on light garments?
I want a light coat with a matte finish. I find to ink much looks glossy.

How should I flood and stroke? One stroke?

Is anyone using wilflex? How do you like it?
Hi again fxmaster.

The main reason you get a gloss looking print is because the ink deposit is too heavy. We use White 230 as our standard mesh. Monofilament ONLY..never multi. If you have halftones or lines finer than 1.5 points you may need to use a colored 230 or even a higher mesh count. We jump from 230 to Orange 305.
Holding the squeegee at a 45 normal print position push the ink away from you with about 1/2 the pressure of a print stroke. You should have a fairly thick deposit of ink over you image area. Keeping the same angle pull the ink towards you cleaning the print area. Lift the screen and check your coverage. If you have to repeat because you missed an area don't flood this time. When you are done you should have a clean (non glossy) print.
We use Wilflex exclusively with the Genesis line being my personal favorite.

Another issue may be your off contact distance. (the distance between the bottom of the screen and your garment) I always use 1 - 2 quarters on top of each other. If your off contact is more than that you will be laying down too much ink and you will lose detail.

All this being said if you have a large area of ink on the garment you may end up with a semi gloss effect because you are basically turning the ink to plastic in the dryer. You can always reduce your ink a little using finesse to combat that issue.

Last but not least you dryer temp..320 degrees is crucial. If you overheat plastisol you can give it a shiny effect as well. If you under dry it...well we both know what happens there ;)

I hope my long winded answer helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts