T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to print some of my own designs on some t-shirts using water-based inks. Is there an emulsion made specfically for water-based inks or will I need to add something to the emulsion to make it stand up to the water-based ink? Looking for any help I can get. Suggestions on brands,what has worked for you and what has'nt worked for you. Thanks, Rock

· Registered
487 Posts
Hi Rock

Welcome to the TSF!

Trust that the major manufacturers of emulsion have good formulas for making "water-resistant stencils".
Chromaline, Murakami, Ulano, Autotype, Kiwo, etc......
The two-part WR versions are more durable to the acrylic components found in most waterbased and discharge inks.

The formula is only half the answer, though.
Water-resistant emulsions need to be processed completely to gain the best longevity in the stencil.

As you stated, there are hardnening agents that will increase the durability even more,
and even impart short run resistance to some lower-resistance emulsion types.

Always remember, the more water-resistant you make your screen, the more resistant is also becomes to recycling.
Proper reclaiming steps and a pressure sprayer can make that easier.

Happy trails!

· Registered
487 Posts
Hi Speed

Note that water-based inks are not created equal,
and I certainly do not want to mislead the readers.
See paragraph one of the following tech sheet:
[media]http://www.ulano.com/TechData/QTX.tds.pdf[/media]
The manufacturer recommends turning it into a 2-part, also.
As additional example, Murakami suggests the same approach using their HV-Pink.

Happy trails!

· Registered
31 Posts
I have the same question. I have a friend who prints using water based inks and recommended SEX emulsion from Performance, wondering if anyone else has used this emulsion for water based inks or if you have other brands you recommend (if a Diazo needs to be added please state that).
I will be using Permaset Aqua
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.