T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I like this brand, but what kind of ink are they using to get this distressed look. Is this screen printed, or heat transferred? I'm new, just getting into the design part, have no clue about the printing process.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
You can get this effect with a simple plastisol ink as well. If you are using illustrator, you can download the file I attached and place it over your graphics in Illustrator. I can do it in FreeHand but never have tried it in Illustrator. Both programs are very similar.

In FreeHand, after I finish my image, I place a file like this over top of the entire image. I then change the color of the image to white, by simply selecting the image and change the fill color to white. Then I select the image and change it to a transparent image. Again, I'm unsure of how this is done in Illustrator, but in FreeHand it's only a click of a couple of buttons. Anywhere there was black, it's now white and anywhere there was white, it's now transparent. When it's overlayed on the image, it will appear cracked or worn out.

As for printing, I would use a 180 mesh or somewhere around there and a nice soft white ink, like Union Ink's Ultrasoft White. I would flood coat it and pull the squeegee once over the image with firm pressure. This will clear the screen of ink, but it won't be so heavy where it's real bright.

Play around with images. You can even take a piece of paper and crumble it really good. Then unfold it completely and scan it in with a grayscale setting. Then play around with the image in photoshop with brightness /contrast or levels until you get a cracked look.

And above all else and most important, HAVE FUN!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
heinlein99 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but printing the color White isn't possible for us print-on-the-computer-and-heat-press people, is it?
The only way I know of it being possible is to print on a white inkjet/laser material then cut it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts