T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Ive been wanting to put photos on t shirts for my customers I have no idea what kind of printer i should buy I want my cutomers to be happy with the out come
any help would be great
thanks
Donita

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I think you will need to give us more info..
are you going to use an inkjet or laser
are you going to print on white/light colors or on dark
are you looking for least hand

In general....use an inkjet and pigment ink ...such as Epson C120 or for laser use Okidata
for paper pick one that is compatible with the garment..JPSS for white/light garments , for dark...check out Iron All. for Lasers use either Duracotton or Image clip..only for white/light garments...nothing for darks

You will also need a heat press.. home iron will not be a viable choice..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry Im new to the fourm
I have a heat press, the only experience i have are with stock transfers
I think I would perfer ink jet I just want the photo to look good at last.
I will be pressing onto lights and darks
thanks
D

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
for lights...JPSS seems to be the best choice...and for darks...in my opinion there is not a really good transfer for darks...the final result in most cases feels like a rubber raincoat.. so I don't do short runs of darks..I don't do less than 36...and then I use plastisol transfers that I out source...check the threads..Rodney has a great thread on plastisol transfers.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I also use JPSS/Jetprosofstretch for lights, and for darks, dark paper being as what Charles describes, has a heavier hand, you can feel it on the shirt, but I do use it, my favorite is Ironall Dark. Lighter hand than others, stretches with the shirt, great color retention. Ironall Dark has other names, too, depending on who is selling it, like: Everlast Dark, Translution, JetFlex...

The printer you choose should have pigment ink as the ink. Epson has a great line of printers. If your designs are larger than 8.5x11, look for a wide format printer. In the wide format printers, the 1400 is on sale at Epson.com and uses Claria "water resistant" dye, which has been shown by users here to be colorfast with a variety of papers, including the ones recommended here. Regular dye and regular photographic dye are not water fast and will wash out. Do not use dye.

A second favored dark paper on the forum is Jet Wear, it is the same paper as Alpha Gold, but I hear the price is lower as Jet Wear.

Here's one more suggestion for you to get photos onto dark shirts: DTG. Direct to garment printing. It is a different process from screen printing, but similar. The inks are printed directly onto the shirt. DTG is capable of doing photo like images with many colors. It is also not expensive like screen printing for only a few, or for 1off's of each picture. It lends itself well to low quantities, while avoiding the heavy hand of the opaque paper.

While the machine's are expensive (10k+), you can always outsource your dark shirts to a dtg printer that you hook up with. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
A second favored dark paper on the forum is Jet Wear, it is the same paper as Alpha Gold, but I hear the price is lower as Jet Wear.
so i can in fact use JetWear paper...its half the price of JPSS and i felt like people were basically telling me not to in my previous inquiries...not that i plan to use it in the long run but as far as getting started and getting use to my equipment...when i asked this, someone said why wouldn't you use JPSS like everyone suggests. i'm just trying to save a few bucks while i get used to pressing shirts.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
No, sorry, eAZie... I meant JetWear Dark as in the opaque paper, like Ironall Dark. JetWear has a slightly heavier hand than Ironall Dark from users who have used both. If you are an Alpha Gold for Dark paper user, you can then also use Jet Wear for Darks, as it is the same paper (Neenah Jet-Opaque.)

JPSS is different paper from them altogether. It is for white/light shirts.

I know you are concerned with cost, eAZie. One way to find out if you are spending your money wisely is to order a sample pack with some various light papers in it. Make sure you try the JPSS, too, if it's not in the sample. Once you press the samples, wash them and give them a stretch, you will see how different papers act. I've tried 3 papers for lights, one off the shelf, and two pro papers. I know after what I saw that I am getting my monies worth when I buy JPSS. I also shop around to who is the lowest sale price and save alot by doing that. Sometimes I save $11 off the regular price.

Someone just posted that a customer called their shop to get their screen pricing... but that customer knew someone with a JPSS shirt the person had done, Not Screening!! That's how good JPSS can be. To me, it's worth the $$ bc I've done the test and have seen other products. Maybe after you do some tests, too, you won't wonder anymore if it is a good deal or not.

Not to say there isn't a place for all papers either. Obviously they sell. Sometimes there is a time that someone is looking to get a one day event from a shirt, and in those times, absolutely are for a paper that may cost less, be of good quality, and look super for the day of the event, but you may get 10-12 washes before issues.

It really depends on what your use is. You may or may not need a product like JPSS. But if you do want stretchability, color retention, soft hand, and no cracking, then JPSS is the best, imo, and worth a test along side the other products.

I hope that helps ya out, eAZie. I understand this is tough for you. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts