T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have checked out the threads and have talked to many vendors. They have had good clothing and great shirts but I am really looking for fine made blanks. The blanks I want need to be of Diesel quality (actually better).

What are the most fine shirt makers any of you have recived samples from or have used? Price is not a worry. Thoughts? Also what has been the best company to work with?

Thanks guys,

Howie

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
but I am really looking for fine made blanks. The blanks I want need to be of Diesel quality (actually better).
You may need to get something custom made if you have tried a lot of blanks but haven't been satisfied with what you've seen.

"fine shirt" is a pretty relative term. Some think AmericanApparel or Alternative Apparel or Royal Apparel is a nice "fine" t-shirt, some would say a Hanes Beefy tee is a nice "fine" t-shirt.

Which ones have you tried specifically that you didn't like? That may help us narrow down suggestions for you.

If that doesn't work, you can always contact a manufacturer like AlternativeApparel/RoyalApparel/Jerico Sportswear/Overseas Factory and look into getting custom garments made (usually a 1000+ piece minimum).

:welcome:

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
"fine shirt" is a pretty relative term. Some think AmericanApparel or Alternative Apparel or Royal Apparel is a nice "fine" t-shirt, some would say a Hanes Beefy tee is a nice "fine" t-shirt.
I don't think the kind of people who would describe a shirt as "fine" would describe Hanes in such a way - especially a Beefy T which pretty much has the consistency of a (very comfortable) sack.

I agree that custom manufacture will probably be necessary in this case, though only after ruling out the more "premium" blank brands first (i.e. the ones Rodney just mentioned - AA, AA and RA).

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
I don't think the kind of people who would describe a shirt as "fine" would describe Hanes in such a way - especially a Beefy T which pretty much has the consistency of a (very comfortable) sack.
Not everyone thinks a Hanes beefy tee is like a comfortable sack :)

Some customers insist upon it and do mention it as a top quality "fine" t-shirt.

That's why I asked, because when I've asked customers who say "I want a high quality t-shirt" or "I want the finest t-shirt you have", many times, their idea of "quality" and "fine" is the Hanes Beefy tee.

You just never know :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i have seen and felt AA, AA, and RA shirts. They are pretty nice. But I am looking for something different. It seems that everyone uses them and then ends up charging an arm and a leg for the shirts. I have just been talking to a friend and she made that conclusion too. I think I need to hand make my own shirts. I am working with a friend who is a textile and fabrics major and she knows her stuff so i know i can get alot of very very fine material to make shirts out of. I was wondering if anyone had used an italian company or someone obscure that made very nice blanks.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
Not everyone thinks a Hanes beefy tee is like a comfortable sack :)

Some customers insist upon it and do mention it as a top quality "fine" t-shirt.
I don't disagree that it's a decent shirt and some people's idea of perfect quality (and I'm not going to have a go at them for that - it's perfectly capable of meeting someone's every need as a t-shirt).

My point was that the word fine has certain connotations.

Fine dining does not mean McDonald's. Fine t-shirts do not mean Gildan/Hanes/etc. (or arguably anything else readily available from a wholesaler - the line possibly includes brands like AA, possibly doesn't - but it certainly doesn't extend to Hanes & co.)

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
But I think Rodney's point is that some people do think that a fine shirt means Hanes or Gildan, etc.

I think you would be surprised at how many people have never heard of AA. So when they see that a design is printed on Hanes, they think: "that is a good design printed a fine shirt"

It's all relative. Yes, fine has certain connotations, but it's all from one's point of reference. And trust me, there are people that are so poor, that they do consider McDonald's as "fine dining"!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Comin'OutSwingin said:
I think you would be surprised at how many people have never heard of AA.
Not particularly. I do get surprised by a lot of things (I make too many assumptions), but I only think AA is well known 1) On the internet, 2) With college kids... and probably not that much more.

Comin'OutSwingin said:
It's all relative. Yes, fine has certain connotations, but it's all from one's point of reference. And trust me, there are people that are so poor, that they do consider McDonald's as "fine dining"!
And those people won't be on an internet forum asking for t-shirts "of Diesel quality (actually better)". I just think it doesn't hurt to look at posts in context (i.e. infer a point of reference) instead of trying to make everything relative, pointing out that some people consider Hanes the shizzle dizzle when clearly that's not going to be the case with the person asking for help.

(and Rodney's answer was helpful - especially suggesting that the poster list what brands were tried so we can fill in the gaps - I just don't think we always need a "some would say Hanes is ..." comparison :D)

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
And those people won't be on an internet forum asking for t-shirts "of Diesel quality (actually better)". I just think it doesn't hurt to look at posts in context (i.e. infer a point of reference) instead of trying to make everything relative, pointing out that some people consider Hanes the shizzle dizzle when clearly that's not going to be the case with the person asking for help.
I've found it's best not to assume, so I try to clarify things. It is a fact that sometimes Hanes is considered a fine t-shirt, even by those "in the know"

Either way, let's keep this helpful folks and not debate on Hanes or the theory of relativity :)

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
howierocket said:
To clear things up, I don't want Hanes shirts :)
Great! To help clear things up more (and help us help you), can you clarify this earlier question :):

"Which ones have you tried specifically that you didn't like? That may help us narrow down suggestions for you."

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
How about you give us some specifics on what you're looking for.

Fiber content?
Weight?
Type of weave?
Style/fit?

And like Rodney said, the ones you have tried and don't like.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I liked there stuff but it felt so machine made. I am looking for some almost hand made looking ****s. Something that maybe a small guy hand makes about 10000 of a year over seas. I love having different collor stiching, like white on the inside that you can only see when the shirt is streched. I like a really soft shirt that feels like it has been warn for years or was made out of really old material. I have a few that this guy from cali prints on by hand. I havent been able to get in touch with him. I dont mind if the shirts are irregular, made anywhere, and price can be alot or a little. I might have to hand make the shirts or hand make them and send them to a compay to make.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
howierocket said:
I am looking for some almost hand made looking shirts. [...] I love having different collor stiching, like white on the inside that you can only see when the shirt is streched. I like a really soft shirt that feels like it has been warn for years or was made out of really old material.
I personally don't know of anything like that on the market (there may be something obscure - which is what you asked for - but if so it's obscure enough that it hasn't been mentioned here). Obviously there are shirts that are soft, shirts that have contrast stitching, etc. - but the point is you want something new, something that hasn't quite been seen before.

It sounds like you have a better idea of what you want than most people, and you have access to expertise (i.e. your own and your textile majoring friend). Your best bet might be to make up a few prototypes, get them just how you want them, and then take them to a custom manufacturer and see what they can do for you. You could go to them without the prototypes, but if you have the ability to make them anyway then it will make it easier to know you're on the same page.

howierocket said:
I have a few that this guy from cali prints on by hand.
Just thought I'd mention - most screenprinting is done by hand. This is one of those things we can use to market our products because hand made is in, but it's not at all unusual.

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
Continental Clothing also have some unique styles.

I think a lot of Alternative Apparel's line is already enzymed washed. They are crazy soft.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.