1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This may be a stupid question, but,
what exactly is vinyl?
All I know is that you heat transfer it.
Can you print on it?
How do you put your design into it?
Is thermoFILM vinyl?
What kind of garments can it be applied to? 50/50? 100% cotton? 100% poly?

Basically what I need is an in-depth explanation of what vinyl is, how you put your design on it, and how you transfer it.

Thanks,
Tristan

·
Registered
234 Posts
There 100's of diff. types of vinyl that can be used for diff. applications. Vinyl's used for sign making are subject to how long you want them to last, if you want to cut them, print on them, laminate, apply wet or dry. If it is for perm. or temp. use.
Solvent printers use water based inks to print on certain vinyl and UV on others... Some vinyls can be used for textiles. Again some are cut only and some can be printed on and both are heat transferred with a heat press.
What are you trying to do and maybe I can answer how you can accomplish it....

·
Registered
234 Posts
vinyl is good for numbers on t's and jerseys
but gives a heavy plastic look on designs.

Now, there are new products that look and feel less shinny and more like screen printed. They are flexable and made for spandex, Ultraspan 2 or suerflex, etc.

Also, LabelTrans, is clear so it can be used if you want to create tagless tees.

So, not the old vinyl that we used to use for numbers and names on jerseys...

This company came to New Orleans SBIA show:
www.instagraph.com

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering what vinyl I would use to put letters and numbers on 100% cotton, 100% poly, and 50/50.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Vinyl is awesome espcailly the foils. They last longer than screen printed foils. We get orders of about 2000 gloss silver or gold vinyl at a time.
Use the thicker vinyl for sports teams and use the thinner vinyl for designs. Reflectives, sparkles and metallics are great products but DTG is getting remarkbly better and now is seriously challenging vinyl printers.
Stahls has the best print and cut vinyl transfers that is super thin and works great on lycra.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts