T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI THERE EVERYONE...

What does the word vector mean when dealing with the t-shirt biz...and what does it do?

is it the type of shirt it is or the type of design etc. ?

because i see the word (vector) or vector image everywhere i look on t-shirtforum.c but i cant seem to grasp the full understanding of what the actual word really mean in concern when dealing with the t-shirt biz ?

at one point i was under the impression that it was one thing but i just realized that it isnt what i was thinking it was at that time ...(in my research) in the past!

please help..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Vector graphics is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and shapes or polygon(s), which are all based upon mathematical equations, to represent images in computer graphics.

So rather than pixels its a mathematical equation. They are used because they can change size and not distort. Like a none vector image.
Most cutters use them as paths to cut. Illustrator makes vectors, photoshop uses pixels. I hope that helps clear it up a bit..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so coral draw is a all/fully vector program?

Vector graphics is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and shapes or polygon(s), which are all based upon mathematical equations, to represent images in computer graphics.

So rather than pixels its a mathematical equation. They are used because they can change size and not distort. Like a none vector image.
Most cutters use them as paths to cut. Illustrator makes vectors, photoshop uses pixels. I hope that helps clear it up a bit..

it helps a little ..i guess im just slow ...at understanding somethings...but thanks anyways for trying .....for giving me your time an effort...but im still lost...

·
Registered
104 Posts
it is confusing, I just recently learned (and am learning about) vectors, due to the fact i got a cutter and had to. If you had an appliciation where you need to learn about it makes it a bit easier

·
Registered
336 Posts
As jamaspea stated, Vector graphics are defined by mathematical equations which place lines, curves and other shapes on the screen. Since mathematics are used to "draw" the image, you can scale a vector graphic to any size and not loose image quality. On the other hand, a Raster (or Bitmap) image is not defined by mathematics, but rather by actual pixels. If you try to make a Raster image larger, you get a blurred (pixelated) image.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
100 Posts
HI THERE EVERYONE...

What does the word vector mean when dealing with the t-shirt biz...and what does it do?

is it the type of shirt it is or the type of design etc. ?

because i see the word (vector) or vector image everywhere i look on t-shirtforum.c but i cant seem to grasp the full understanding of what the actual word really mean in concern when dealing with the t-shirt biz ?

at one point i was under the impression that it was one thing but i just realized that it isnt what i was thinking it was at that time ...(in my research) in the past!

please help..
Hello Samantha

Below is an example of what vector is. The attached file is a gif so it is not the original vector file. The dancer was done in abobe illustrator using the pen tool to create the vector line and shapes. The black lines and shapes on the right side show you what the vector looks like buy itself. Vector is viewable in illustrator by (clicking command Y). After I created all of the vector lines and shapes I added the color and gradients to them as you see on the left. Creating files in vector is full on benefits. You are able to resize the image without worrying about resolution or your image getting pixilated, you can easily create color separations and groupings, you can easily change selected colors and so on. I hope this helps.

[media]http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/3/9/25/f_Guym_4a67edd.gif[/media]

·
Registered
36 Posts
For those like me who just started and don't want to spend a lot of money. I am downloading Open Office Draw for free too get a better feel of using vector graphics editor. Have fun... it's free!:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for info.

How do you save a CorelDRAWx3 file to AI? Upon several attempts, I can save as AI file, however, the recipient is unable to open with AI from their end? They state file is corrupt? Do you have to open the layers docker and unlock? Am I saving file in Corel to AI incorrectly?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Despite claims to the contrary from Corel Corp, X3 and Illustrator don't really play nice together.

I would suggest exporting to .eps instead, which in my experience is easier for Illustrator to open when coming from Corel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts