T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been searching this website for a while. and really appreciate you share the great advices and experiences.

I am now a little hesitated that I don't know what I should do first....

get the federal tax id, state license, build website, get shirts ready?

my friend suggested to have the website built first, then think about set up a company...but my questions is how I can build the website without a final product at hand?

thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

get the federal tax id, state license, build website, get shirts ready?
The most important thing you can do is develop a business plan before you do anything else, figure out your target customer and how you will reach them, what you'll sell them, how you'll generate a profit, all the expenses....etc.

Do it all on paper first, then attack!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
There's a lot to do to get started, so it can be daunting. Jon is right, put it all down on paper. Make some lists as to what you need you do. Then plan how you are going to do it all. Then start doing them one at a time. You can make all sorts of rationalizations for what order you can do them in. But the bottom line is, they all need to be done. So just start at the top of the list and work from there.

And Jon is also right about the business plan. It's not easy, but these are questions you need answers to before you get yourself too invested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A business plan is really important. If you don't do that (as many of us didn't), I'd find another printer to sub orders to first (ask for contract pricing or a broker discount), then get the site going. From there, you can grow and learn without having the pressure of having everything in place first. If the job is too complex, sub it out.
But once you go legit, make sure you don't get behind on filing taxes, etc. Nightmarish.
Dan
AcmePrints.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi!

Also you should visit your local Small Business Development Center. There are Federal and local offices that offer support and training for free or a low reasonable fee. Some places may even have incubator locations that are designed for small businesses.

I agree with the others that you need to spend the time with the business plan. You can find alot of sample plans on the net for guidance.

Lastly, find your niche market. If you can find a need that is being underserved or poorly serviced, step in and work it better.

Hope this helps!

Manny

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i read your replies a couple of times ...thanks all!

looks like a business plan is the most essential....

I just want get something to other's hands (like applying for tax id or approval for business permit), while waiting for them, I can worry about the other stuffs and also got these two crossed out from the to-do-list.

·
Registered
10 Posts
figure out what style/audience you wanna target. Pick a name, register your business name, get a domain, setup a website and blog using wordpress, create a big cartel store and some social profiles. Get your tee designs, get everything yo need to ship and sell the tees. Print tees and start selling!

·
Registered
1 Posts
have the website built first,and then now many smart wholesaler can provide you the product picture and specifition,and you can smart wholesale ,good luck

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hi I have been searching this website for a while. and really appreciate you share the great advices and experiences.

There has been some very good advice given on this thread, but the number one thing I always go back to on my list is
1.) Success is the ability to have no fear of failure, and if necessary go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The most important thing you can do is develop a business plan before you do anything else, figure out your target customer and how you will reach them, what you'll sell them, how you'll generate a profit, all the expenses....etc.

Do it all on paper first, then attack!

Hope this helps.
Yeah, I agree with IYFGraphics. You must have business plan, target market and how you want to run your business (online or offline marketing). About design, it's adjust to your customers. For example, my basic business is selling T-Shirt for clubber, so I create design about DJ, clubbing stuff, etc. Don't be idealistic just like other distro. I saw many distro in my country are idealistic, their design is not profitable for owner and I said it is design about hell and devil. Sell the design as long as everyone love to buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts