T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need your help again

I'm trying to convert this logo for a client of mine into a one color like black and white

what would be the easiest and more reliable way to do this?

I'm stuck because I tried Vector Magic and it vectorizes with colors and Live trace is giving me no luck and not to mention corel's powertrace

please help, here's the file

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Is this the real image? It is blurry and even the image on imageshack is blurry. So if it is this blurry, or if it is smaller, I see why you would be having a problem.

Live Trace in black and white mode should be able to do the job if the image you are starting with is sharp and sort of large. If I were doing it, one thing I would do before I traced would be to eliminate the red in the shield so the trace does not make the red black. And I would make the cross in the shield black so it still shows up and the other elements can be seen on a white background in the shield.

Reactions: dAi

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would trace by hand on paper and scan in at high res (1200 dpi) then use your trace program, but that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
man you are getting some rotten images to work with aren't you? did your customer pull this off the internet and try printing it out or something?

if you have a light box and the image is big enough for you to make out all the detail then what rat suggested might be the easiest. see the problem is you have to rethink the design and figure out what will be white and what will be black. as far as i know there is no magic button to press that will do this for you. if the image was better then do what mark suggested. livetrace isn't going to work with a small 72 dpi image (which i'm guessing this is). because when you try and blow it up to the output size it will become blocky/blurry (pixelated).

if you are proficient in illustrator i'd say redraw from scratch.

these customers of yours need to realize that working with garbage is going to produce garbage.........hence the old graphic artist saying: "garbage in, garbage out". if this customer had this logo produced at one time and paid an artist to do it then someone has the original file somewhere. it looks as though he or you scanned this in from a letterhead. see if you can get the original high rez artwork or file and we'll help you from there.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
no way using that jpg... you will have to reraw it from scratch. The customer may not have rights to reproduce it either...

Sometimes a little extra grilling may help...
"where did you get this file?"
"Who did the art originally?"
"Did you also receive a CD with the file containing other types of files"

Users often get CD's with the AI, PDF, EPS, JPG, B/W, RGB, CMYK versions of a logo when dealing woth a professional graphics designer... BUT, they think the EPS file is "no good" because they cannot open it. To them their logo is the JPG.

Even so, I bet $10 that the customer snagged this off the web somewhere, or bought one of those useless geneology parchment name certificates from a TV infomercial and how thinks the "crest" is HIS to use where ever he wants.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok to all of you who is assuming that the customer doesnt have the rights he does ok some guy did it for him and charge him and didnt do a good job they did it in photoshop and not on a vector program

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
ok to all of you who is assuming that the customer doesnt have the rights he does ok some guy did it for him and charge him and didnt do a good job they did it in photoshop and not on a vector program
but why does it look so blurry? if he did it in photoshop the .psd file can be placed in illustrator. there should other formats that he saved it in other than jpeg. did he just email this to you? the reason people are mentioning that it looks like it was downloaded off the internet because of the bad quality of what you uploaded. ask if he's got other files (.psd). if he doesn't tell him to get them from the guy who didn't know what he was doing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well in the time it took to write these posts it could have been printed and traced by hand. I know from experience we all want to push a button and have it done for us but the truth of the matter is a pen is still valuable tool.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Well in the time it took to write these posts it could have been printed and traced by hand. I know from experience we all want to push a button and have it done for us but the truth of the matter is a pen is still valuable tool.
well he could have also put it together in illustrator in the same time. i know the crown is a free vector available on the net (royalty free also) the shield is in illustrator objects, the lion is probably available on a site royalty free..........that's 80% of the design already done for you in black and white.

i use my light table all the time but if he if he doesn't have one i don't know how he can trace that [email protected]@@ed-up image by hand. i can barely make it out on this page.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
That is absolutely true Rat, but you have to know how to do that. It is such a simple image it could be recreated a number of ways in very short time, especially since it is only needed in b/w. But again, you have to know how to do these things, or where to quickly grab the resources.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd just place it in the background and draw it again in illustrator, looks like a 15-19 minute job (draw half the crown, mirror it, same with banner), I do probably 10 of these a week. I'd also do it in color first, then make a B/W version, offer both back to client for their archive...

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
how can recreate something that you can't see? plus recreating something that the client doesn't have permission to use..........not me.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I couldn't figure out exactly what the original artist was doing with the banner at the bottom... got some weird folds...
I think this is probably close to what they were trying to achieve. Ignore the rough lines, I did this on a trackpad. Not the most ideal drawing tool!

Good job on everything! I'm not sure how you were able to figure out what that first image in the top left corner was, but I definitely am impressed!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
hi
did he take your bad image and made it into a pdf crest-work???
how is that possible???
do you draw it by hand? is there any pad and pen drawing technique that you use instead of the mouse??

thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts