T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have been making shirts for like 2 years now, and i am curious about the best transfer papers..

i have been using new milford photo transfer paper my whole career, but they are starting to get expensive, and next month they are raising prices again!!! they are already the most expensive paper...

i want quailty but damn is there any competition to new milford photo transfer paper?

what are the 3 top transfer papers for light and dark
1. 1.
2. 2.
3. 3.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
For lights:
1, 2, and 3. = Jetprosofstretch. Available at tshirtsupplies.com, New Milford, Coastal, Alpha, and others. Just google Jetprosofstretch. Some preferred vendors give discounts, look in the preferred vendors link for the info. Tshirtsupplies.com is offer a 5% discount for signing up for the newletter.

Dark paper:
For #1: I like Ironall Dark when the batch is not problematic.
Other folks have found Alpha Gold for dark to be very good, I am going to sample it soon.

Ironall Dark is also sold under other names: Translusion, JetFlex, Everlast Soft... and another name... can't ever seem to remember them alllllll... lol. But you can price shop other suppliers by these names, to see if you can find the same paper from someone else cheaper.

I have no real #2 and #3. I like Ironall Dark, but being opaque, it is what it is, so I recently bought a cutter. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
For lights:
1, 2, and 3. = Jetprosofstretch. Available at tshirtsupplies.com, New Milford, Coastal, Alpha, and others. Just google Jetprosofstretch. Some preferred vendors give discounts, look in the preferred vendors link for the info. Tshirtsupplies.com is offer a 5% discount for signing up for the newletter.

Dark paper:
For #1: I like Ironall Dark when the batch is not problematic.
Other folks have found Alpha Gold for dark to be very good, I am going to sample it soon.

Ironall Dark is also sold under other names: Translusion, JetFlex, Everlast Soft... and another name... can't ever seem to remember them alllllll... lol. But you can price shop other suppliers by these names, to see if you can find the same paper from someone else cheaper.

I have no real #2 and #3. I like Ironall Dark, but being opaque, it is what it is, so I recently bought a cutter. :D
Agree 100%:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello,

As far as Alpha Gold, that is Neenah's JET-OPAQUE otherwise known as JetWear Dark...same stuff, different name. We have been using the JetWear name since we acquire the rights after the changes w/ FotoWear, which brought the product to market in the 80's....if you want us to list it under the other names, let us now - our new sites have a matching feature, so you always know what you are getting...it may be confusing at 1st, but we hope it makes it easier in your HT Paper needs.

Thanks, all, stay in touch,
Mike

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
As far as Alpha Gold, that is Neenah's JET-OPAQUE otherwise known as JetWear Dark...same stuff, different name.
Great info to know!! Thanks Mike...

I just bought some Alpha Gold based on recommendations on this forum but wasnt' sure if anybody else carried it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks Mike, it's so nice to finaly get some clear answers on these paper confusions, it's a mess imo as to why everyone wants to call it a different name. Yes it may help their sales for a while but in the ned it hurts the users of the product as they never really know what they are buying.

Thank you again for the info

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
You know it's not always the cost that should be figured into the word Cheap. We bought some transfers from a local supplier, and it took an additional 15 seconds to adhere. The previous company was in California, we paid shipping, and twenty cents more, but spent half the time heat pressing them. Our time is more valuable then the cost of the transfer paper.

We had four errors which isn't terrible bad, because I know who will buy my now Vintage t-shirts at a $2.00 discount. Not bad considering my alternatives is to reuse them as test t-shirts.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Alpha is a great supplier...

Let us know what you think, it is the same product as JetWear Dark...Neenah's JET-OPAQUE®....

The names may be confusing, but it is all the same....paper!

If you have any questions, let me know,

Mike

hope you can help....:) my questions are in bold & they are underlined.....

Condé has an opaque as well called
JET OPAQUE ....but it is "BLUE GRID"......

Who makes this "BLUE GRID PAPER"?

(I know that you carry "BLUE GRID" under the name Jetwear Dark HI-GlOSS.)

ALSO... Paper Ranch has an opaque called
JET OPAQUE ...but it has GREEN LINES on the back.

What is this paper?? who makes it??

Your(tshirtsupplies.com) JET-OPAQUE has ORANGE LINES on the back.

Alphasupply has their name printed on the back in ORANGE. ..but NO orange lines......so how does one know it is from Neenah??

Coastal's "orange line" opaque paper is called JET DARK.

Stahls' "orange line" paper is called INKTRA OPAQUE.

So these are all the same paper , yes?????

AND..... is this NEENAH'S TRADEMARK NAME For "orange line" opaque paper...
"JET-OPAQUE®" ???

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
My eyes!!! :eek: lol, just kidding ya, Mrs. B. The Inktra is Ironall Dark.
Well...... unless STAHLS switched in the last month it is not Ironall Dark.

I registered my business with them and they sent me a nice sample package in late July.(1 month ago)

Their(Stahls) INKTRA OPAQUE paper has Orange lines down the back IDENTICAL to ....
NEENAH's ORANGE LINES....which is called "JET OPAQUE".
also the same as....
Jetwear Dark.....tshirtsupplies.com
Jet Dark...........Coastal

It even "smells" the same!!!
(if I may say that...lol!)

Ironall DARK paper does not have this distinctive NEENAH "Jet Opaque" smell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like Ironall Dark, but being opaque, it is what it is, so I recently bought a cutter. :D
Good Evening,

I'm in research mode. I haven't purchased any equipment yet and I haven't even made a shirt a PC iron on transfer.

But my question is this. With the above quote are you suggesting that I could put transfer paper (such as the Alpha brands) through a cutter? Man, this would make this whole process a lot easier. :eek:

Thanks for your time

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Good Evening,

I'm in research mode. I haven't purchased any equipment yet and I haven't even made a shirt a PC iron on transfer.

But my question is this. With the above quote are you suggesting that I could put transfer paper (such as the Alpha brands) through a cutter? Man, this would make this whole process a lot easier. :eek:

Thanks for your time
Hi LTN and :welcome:

That's not what I was saying, but you can send inkjet transfer papers thru cutter's that have "contour cutting" capabilities and it will cut out your design for you.

If you search terms like:
1. transfer paper cutter
2. contour cutting
3. transfer paper plotter
4. transfer contour cutting
5. Jpss plotter
6. ironall dark cutter

You will return threads on the subject. One of the things alot of heat transfer folks have on their wish list is a contour cutting capable cutter (also called plotter) just for that reason.

Some inkjet heat transfer papers are pretty easy to cut, some are harder to cut, but if you think you know what paper you want to use, just search the paper name - like Blue Grid cutter or Blue Grid plotter, and any threads on that paper with a cutter or plotter will return so you can see what is written about it.

What I was trying to say is, even tho I like Ironall Dark, it is still an opaque paper, meaning the product hasn't come up to speed really yet for what I would like, so I bought a cutter to add vinyl to the line up to take the place of Ironall Dark in some cases. :)

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Well...... unless STAHLS switched in the last month it is not Ironall Dark.

I registered my business with them and they sent me a nice sample package in late July.(1 month ago)

Their(Stahls) INKTRA OPAQUE paper has Orange lines down the back IDENTICAL to ....
NEENAH's ORANGE LINES....which is called "JET OPAQUE".
also the same as....
Jetwear Dark.....tshirtsupplies.com
Jet Dark...........Coastal

It even "smells" the same!!!
(if I may say that...lol!)

Ironall DARK paper does not have this distinctive NEENAH "Jet Opaque" smell.

Hey Mrs. B, lol, I notice I don't like the smell of JPSS, but I did like the smell of the Ironall, hehe. Look at this link and look at the Stahl's entry:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t59419.html#post353024

I think the real question is: Is Inktra Stretch different from Inktra?????

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Hey Mrs. B, lol, I notice I don't like the smell of JPSS, but I did like the smell of the Ironall, hehe. Look at this link and look at the Stahl's entry:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t59419.html#post353024

I think the real question is: Is Inktra Stretch different from Inktra?????
You are so funny!!!:):p
I started that thread....

Inktra "stretch"
and
Inktra opaque

...are 2 different papers.

They(Stahls) did not send me a sample of the "Inktra Stretch" because I told them that I did not like Ironall Dark.
(bad batch remember......?)

P.S. I love the smell of JOTO inkjet dark(Paropy paper):D
and
The (what I call)"ORANGE LINE" Dark (Neenah paper):D

I am with ya on the JPSS.....eeww to the smell but YEEEESSSS to the press!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
.....I think the real question is: Is Inktra Stretch different from Inktra?????

Ok....I just dug through my 12" pile of PAPER FOR LIGHTS....

STAHLS Inktra stretch is........
IRONALL FOR LIGHTS!!!!!
weird huh!!!!

so....

Stahls INKTRA STRETCH....Ironall for LIGHTS

Stahls INKTRA OPAQUE....Neenah's Jet Opaque or "ORANGE LINES"
I.E. .....
Jetwear Dark .......tshirtsupplies.com
Jet Dark...............Coastal
and
Mike at tshirtsupplies.com says that ALPHA GOLD is this same paper.......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.