T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Question about Heat Press.......Just need an answer.....

If I use the regular ink in my printer to print a graphic onto a transfer paper and then put it on a tshirt, is is going to fade or have the ink run or anything? Thanks

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Threads merged together :)

From what I've read here, you should be using durabrite inks for best results with heat transfers. If you do a forum search for inks, you'll probably find much more detailed information.

I think people have recommended magicmix ink from personalizedsupplies.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello JMcollection,

Inkjet heat transfers should be printed using pigmented inks. An example is the Durabrite inks for the Epson inkjet printers.

Be careful though, some of the older model Epson printers (the 1280 for example), uses a dye based ink and could run when washed. I have a 1280 and have used the stock 1280 ink with no problems but stopped using the 1280 quite a while ago as it was to big for my needs. I now use an Epson C86 with Durabrite inks with remarkable results.

It is my understanding that the newer Epson printers (the R series?), also uses pigmented inks and that people are making heat transfers with the stock ink for it. As I don't have the newer printer or much has been published about it, I really can't say much more.

Stick with pigmented inks. If you are unsure about the inks, you can try the 'wash test'. This is where you print your transfer, (be sure the ink is dry on the heat transfer paper), heat press it onto the shirts and then throw it in the wash in hot water. Before the final spin, pull the shirt out of the washer - while it's still dripping wet - and fold it into quarters. Let it sit an hour or twom be ing sure to keep it wet. When time has elapsed, unfold the shirt. There you will be able to see if the ink runs or it doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm a little confused, I got my ink from Best Blanks. It is called Armur-Ink. Why has'nt anyone recomended it. The only real complaint I have is that the new cartridges are not chipped so the Epson will actually shut down when the status monitor thinks I've emptied a cartridge, when in reality I have about 2 oz left in the resavoir.
I actually have to shut down, then reopen the cut studio program to resume.
Is there anyway around this?
Ive printed agout a thousand tees with no complaints except the chip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am using an Epson 1280 and from the very first run I have been using the Magic Mix inks, which have been great. I just got a last minute order for 25 shirts for the fourth of July and my ink is in it's last quarter. I don't think my new order for the Magic Mix will be here by Monday.

Can I and Should I use durabrite inks in the meantime. Can I use Epson Original Manufacturers Ink cartridges with good results. Is there another kind of pigment ink I can buy at Staples or somewhere like that?

·
Registered
57 Posts
WHy is the ARMUR INK I used on my shirt washing out? I printed it on opaque paper. waited one day and then heat pressed it on a shirt..... then following day washed it and POOF nothing but a white layer left and no pic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts