T-Shirt Forums banner

21 - 40 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Is using a used printer worth it?

I'm concerned with the additional maintenance that that might entail seeing as it has been used before. I might end up spending more to keep it running :p

Oh, and can anyone explain to me why & how hard it is to print on dark shirts? 'cause I don't really know :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
dmt387,

I have had a T-Jet2 for over a year now. I bought it very slightly used for several thousand $ less than the cost of a new machine. The machine had a clogged head caused by poor maintenance and from sitting unused. The seller did not want to spend the time and energy required to learn how to run and maintain the machine. Maintenance on the machines is not extensive but it must be done religiously (especially machines running white ink). I spend about 5 minutes a day doing maintenance and an extra 30 minutes weekly.

I can only speak for the T-Jet because that is what I have experience with but most of these machines are very similar. If you buy a used machine and it will print at all you should assume that you will need to replace 3 things (the head $300---the capping station $50---the encoder strip $12). If the used machine won't print at all don't buy it (you could be into replacing motherboard and cables $500).

If you don't like doing maintenance and a screw driver scares the hell out of you then don't buy any DTG machine at this time.

In the past Dupont's white ink (I believe most machines are running this) has been problematic. It settles badly causing you to have to reprime the ink cartridges on a regular basis and causing head clogs. Dupont just came out with a new white ink that is supposed to prevent this.

To print white or light ink on a dark shirt you must pretreat the shirt and then lay down a heavy white under base. The color inks are translucent and will not show up on a dark shirt without an underbase.

Here are the steps I take to print a black shirt.

1. Prepress the shirt for 3 seconds.
2. Mist the shirt lightly with water.
3. Spray the shirt with pretreatment.
4. Mist the shirt lightly with water.
5. Lightly pat the pretreatment into the shirt with a damp rag.
6. Cover the shirt with Quillon coated parchment paper and press for 7seconds.
7. Remove the parchment paper and press for 10 seconds.
8. Print the shirt (on dark shirts this will take 5-7 minutes average).
9. Place the shirt back on the press and cover with silicon parchment paper and press lightly for 3 minutes to cure the ink.

If any of these steps are done wrong then it usually results in a scrap shirt.

Printing on white shirts is fairly simple.

1. Prepress for 3 seconds.
2. Print shirt.
3. Press and cure for 60 seconds.

I am not trying to scare you off but before you dump a lot of money into this technology you should have an understanding of what you are getting into.

Best Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Greg,

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know printing on a dark shirt would require so much work, but then again its something I have to learn so I can't complain. :p

Where do I get the replacement parts? Do I get it from the company my printer is or do I have to get it somewhere else?

And I have another problem, I live in the Philippines so access to these printers (even more so to used DTG Printers) is very limited. I've been searching online but I can't find any that I like, and I prefer to see the machine first-hand rather than buy it from someone anonymous online.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Your statement about the white ink on dark is the very reason I have not purchased the white upgrade yet. There are still some issues, I think, that are to be settleed with the white. I have not had any problems with the light colored, and they hold up to wash very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A printer you should be looking at closely is AnaJet. I have one, and I love it. It has everything, including a good price.

Mine cost $14,600 and it prints on white and black T Shirts. Wash tests have been excellent. You can see it at AnaJet: Direct to Garment Digital Apparel Printer. The ink refill is by catridge, and the machine is portable weighing only 72 lbs.

It is made in Costa Mesa, CA.

God Luck

Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
A printer you should be looking at closely is AnaJet. I have one, and I love it. It has everything, including a good price.

Mine cost $14,600 and it prints on white and black T Shirts. Wash tests have been excellent. You can see it at AnaJet: Direct to Garment Digital Apparel Printer. The ink refill is by catridge, and the machine is portable weighing only 72 lbs.

Dave
I checked the website and it looks really good on paper. However I am concerned about its actual performance and the fact that it might cost more ink-wise.

What are your comments on this machine (AnaJet)?

Oh and if anyone is going to attend a trade show with this printer in it, please PM me your opinion on the machine hehe..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is my take on this...and only mine. I bought the original TJet and ended up selling it back to the distributor at a huge loss. It was one problem after another and next thing you know the T Jet 2 is out and mine is basically obsolete. Now they are 2 more designs ahead without seeming to have worked all the quirks out of the first ones. Every time there was a problem it was a $300 printhead...I guess what I am trying to say is check with a lot of people to see what their experience is with DTG. It's not that it didnt produce some great looking prints...by my gosh, it wasnt worth all the trial and tribulation that I had!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been pondering between the T-Jet and the DTG Kiosk as well. It seems you get a little more with T-Jet but is it worth the extra 2K? Also, has anyone had any success haggling down the prices when purchasing? If so, any suggestions?

·
Registered
33 Posts
What do these systems cost? I notice they don't say on their websites or any related ones that I can find..

What does the Anajet go for?

The T Jet 3 and DTG Kiosk? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Pricing always changes unfortunately. You can also get different pricing at a trade show. The Kornit machine is in a different price range. For a complete package (small printer, RIP, dryer,...), it is around $100,000. For the other printers, I would recommend contacting the manufacturers or distributors. Here are some of the websites that I can think of off the top of my head.
- Direct to Garment Printer: AnaJet (Anajet) or Large Format Printing, Dye Sublimation, Inkjet, Solvent, Engraving & Cutters (Anajet Distributor)
- DTG America - Digital Garment Printers (DTG Kiosk, HM1,..) or SWF East | Embroidery machines, T-Shirt Printing Equipment, & Supplies (Eastern Distributor) or Apparel Decorating Equipment from MESA Distributors (Western Distributor)
- U.S. Screen Print & Inkjet Technology (Fast T-Jet 3, Blazer) - tons of distributors to choose from
- Sawgrass Technologies - Home (Direct Advantage) or Tools for screenprinting, sign making, laser engraving, embroidery, promotional products (Direct Advantage Distributor) or www.baurdan.com (Direct Advantage Distributor)
- Brother International - At your side for all your Fax, Printer, MFC, Ptouch, Label printer, Sewing - Embroidery needs. (Brother) or Inkjet Garment Printing and Brother GT-541 Digital Garment Printer (Brother Distributor)
- Specialty Purpose Printers (Flexi-Jet) or www.ddmsupply (Flexi-Jet Distributor)

NOTE: This is not a complete a list, just some quick sites that I can think of. Most of the manufacturers will list their distributors as well. Hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks so much DAGuide -- that was a lot of info/work! lol

Are there any trade shows in the northeast coming up in 2008 that may have these printers?

·
Registered
4,664 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ha Ha, thanks! Boston is my more likely possibility... homework?? I feel like I've been doing "homework" for the last ten years!! Seeings how I've built my own t-shirt business/online store and learned web design all on my own.. seems there is always more to learn... oy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Guys,

Can I just ask...Does the T-jet3 use a different print engine to the Blazer?

Are they comparable print quality or would you go for the Blazer?

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looking back on things I should have picked up the blazer for being able to print multiple images at once compared to my t3/t2. The Blazer is based off a 4800 and the T3 is based off an R1800. Comparable print quality and speeds from what I have seen and read

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
T-Jet3 is based on an R1800 (printable width of 12.5" or so). Blazer is based on a 4800 (printable width of 16" or so). The question about print quality is very subjective and based on several factors (what ink, what RIP, what profiles, what type of graphic, resolutions,...). I am sure you will find people that say that both of them put out great designs. Here is something else to think about.

The R1800 printhead will only move back and forth over the graphic. The 4800 printhead requires it to travel the full distance back and forth the printhead track. So, in some cases (i.e. left chest designs, designs that don't go across the shirt completely)...the R1800 based printers could print the design faster.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The printhead in the 4800 is larger, but the drop size in the R1800 is bigger. So, more ink can be dropped by the R1800 than the 4800.
Mark: I'm not sure what you are basing your data on but our system that incorporates these print engines are as follows:

The 1800 and 4800 print heads are physically the same size and have the same nozzle configuration.
The 4800 has a larger drop size then the 1800, respectively 21 pl and 18 pl, so the 4800 can lay down more ink in one pass then a similar 1800 configuration.

FYI: The 2400 print engine maximum drop size is only 12 pl so it will take almost twice as long to lay down the same amount of ink as the 4800 or 1800 print engines.

You are correct regarding the way the print head lays down ink between the 1800 vs 4800.

Mark
Belquette Inc

21 - 40 of 159 Posts