T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

What is Pantone Transparent White? I'm a designer learning to design for my screen printer. I tried K 0%, and black C 0% and I don't have White TPX nor is that a solid coated. Is Pantone Transparent White available in AI CS4 color books? If not, how do I find it? Or How do I make it? He said he wants Pantone Transparent White. What does that mean???!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Its just a Pantone color to represent white in a design. Its in the Pantone Solid Coated palette I know for sure. Who is insisting on this? A screenprinter? If so, any standby color for white, such as P7541C will work just as well for separations. DTG would probably want a white, but I don't know why they wouldn't want to CYMK palette.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi,

I think they are asking a bit much of you. What they are asking is for you to supply artwork with the white that isn't goig to be printed as Transparent white.

This is easy for any screen printer to change, but the best way for you is to select the colour that needs to be transparent white (in Adobe Illustrator) and go to the colour window and set click the white box with a red diagonal line through. This changes the colour of the selected item as 'Transparent'. The only problem might be that everything under then becomes visible.

I hope I've understood this correctly. I'm giving this advise as someone who prints and creates artwork. There is no such Pantone as 'Transparent White'.

If I was asked to print transparent white i'd print with water.

Debbie

·
Registered
230 Posts
OK.

He just wants a white that's different to the printed white, so make this c,m,y,k, 0,0,2,0.

It looks the same but he knows it's a different colour.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This may not have anything to do with what the OP is inquiring...

In the analog world of offset printing inks, transparent white is used as a mixing ink to achieve the various shades/tints of colors in the pantone ink mixing book. Opaque white is, well, opaque, while transparent white lacks any color at all.

I try to keep the latest ink swatch book away from customers because of the multitude of colors that have very little differences between them, especially the semi-transparent colors. Most of the customers don't quite understand that when a semi-transparent ink is laid down on anything but pure white stock, the ink color shifts to a darker tint...

Later and good skill.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I am looking for trans white myself. But I know why the screen printer wants it that way, because I am a screen printer. We use programs that basically work as print drivers. They recognize spot colors and not CMYK. All Pantone colors are recognized as spot colors If we use a CMYK color to make our separations, it prints a halftone of that color on 4 screens. So, when it comes to print and they are laid on top of each other, it makes the CMYK color. But, that isn't typically how most screenprinters print. Printing CMYK needs a thinner more expensive ink because you need a finer mesh screen(also more expensive). So when you are a designer and asked to meet requirements, just because you don't necessarily understand it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Did anyone actually find trans white?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've never ran into needing this, but it peaked my curiosity. I am assuming this is about the specific ink as a quote from pantone.com:
PANTONE Transparent White is actually a finished ink minus the colorant. Thus, it contains the same varnishes, dryers and other components that would typically be found in colored printing ink. PANTONE Transparent White is semi-opaque in appearance, due to the presence of waxes and silicates. This designation typically appears in the standard PANTONE formula guide.​

So it stands to reason there should be a something in a palette or swatch for it in illustrator. I don't use Illustrator but CorelDraw has such a thing in it's Pantone palette:

Maybe you should just make a spot color and inform the printers what you want there.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ugg, its a zombie thread. Just realized. But maybe chaosworldwide you can do the spot color thing and talk to the printers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts