T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE help me to understand something...with some better clarity!

all cutters cuts (RIGHT)? ...SO what is (contour), what does it mean,an what does it do exactly,

when a cutter/plotter says it comes with (contour cutting) what does it do differently ,better ,or more , that a regular cutter/plotter doesnt or cant do ?

NOTE: WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO USE MY CUTTER FOR WHEN I PURCHASE ONE...
i would like to use some type of cutter or plotter to cut my letters/Fonts out and also to cut some of my picture images out that has holes or spaces inside of my images etc.

PLEASE HELP !:confused:
PLEASE EXPLAIN ?

· Registered
42 Posts
okay, here is a very simplistic answer, and I'm sure you'll get alot more as well as some added comments.

• basically any cutter that you purchase can cut lettering, shapes, etc. Contour cutting is the ability to cut around an existing image, picture etc. It sounds from your post that you need a cutter that can do both. In order to contour you will need a machine that either has an optical registration sensor to read registration marks, or a machine that has the ability to manually set the parameters of your marks.
Again there is much more to the process than that, but I hope that is a start for you.:rolleyes:

· Registered
8,073 Posts
as you state...vinyl cutters cut...for the most part all of the cutter will....using their own software...cut out 'vector' files, images. what that means that it cut out letters and images...that are vectorized...what most will not do is to cut around 'raster' or 'bitmap' images. To do that you need a cutter that will cut around the outside of the image as well as spaces in the image. This is referred to as 'contour' cutting...that is cutting around the contour of an image. to do this you need a cutter that has an optic eye or other means of setting registration marks so it knows where to cut. The Roland GX 24 has this as will as some graftec models and probably some others... There is a new comer machine that is in the $400 range that claims to use a manual/software registration system...I have not had personal experience with this. I would not think it is ready for prime time yet...however I could be wrong. To see contour cutting video with the Roland..go to youtube ...here is the link [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDdY4a9ChKc[/media]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.