T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm a new retail clothing company looking to print up a small first batch of 48 t-shirts (4 dozen).

So I have a good idea when talking to my local printers, I was wondering, in your professional opinions, what a reasonable price range would be, per shirt, to print the following: (i am providing the shirts)

48 black shirts - 3 colors on front
48 white shirts - 3 colors on front

Screen costs

Film costs

*If location matters, I am in Southern California.

Thanks a lot folks!

-Uncle Sam

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hey Uncle Sam ... The price can and will vary from one door to the next..everyone charges different prices for different things..screen fees, film fees, color changes, flip charges..the list can go on and on..

·
Registered
459 Posts
It would be hard to accurately price this job without more details. Do I have to flash the colors or can I print wet on wet? I don't know unless I see the design. A printer in So. Cal will charge differently than back woods Montana most likely. You should call around your area and get a good average. It's not just final cost either. Some printers do good work and some do bad work. Do you want the cheapest cost? Well some times you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Foot Print, Wonubee, MrVixx. You guys are quick. Had no idea how effective this forums is. Real nice.

I swung by a local printer here in Long Beach, Ca.

I've got basic AAA t-shirts - 1301. The printer looked at my design and quoted $7.90 for black and $7.15 for white. That is per shirt, when I print 48. Also, she quoted $0.75 per 1 color tag. $30/screen fee.

Is that on the high end? In comparison to MrVixx's quote, which sounds great, and considering the significant price difference, I wonder if I miscommunicated something to her. Or are such price differences common?

-Uncle Sam

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
that is pretty good for that area..they have a lot of screen printers up there..don't forget to figure in the $30 per screen..I think MrVixx quoted print only and his price was pretty. You can go on CL and find screen printers printing for $3.50 each (shirt included) but then you need to really read the fine print because at that price there is always fine print.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If I was quoting this job, the quote you received is pretty close to what I would quote.

I would say:

$8.00 for black garments
$7.50 for white garments
(per shirt)

$25 screen charge x 3 (3 screens)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Keep in mind that when the customer supplies the shirts, if there are any issues, you get what you get. By that I mean, if a screenprinter supplies the shirts, (which is the norm and worked into the pricepoint), if the printer messes up a print or more, which can happen in the normal course of business, we would replace that shirt(s). But, when it's customer-supplied shirts, we don't replace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys.

Jayman2143: Are those figures you quoted inclusive of the shirt costs? Or is that just the printing costs?

Foot Print: What kind of issues would you want to watch out for in the "fine print" of CL printers that print for $3.50 (shirt included)?

*Sorry, don't know how to quote yet. Can anyone let me know how?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Jayman2143: Are those figures you quoted inclusive of the shirt costs? Or is that just the printing costs?
That's the price for shirt and print. Honestly, I never really figured in cost per print when setting up my price list. Seemed kinda ridiculous to me.

Also, I made an error with the quote that I provided regarding screen charges. The first screen charge (I call it a set-up fee) is $25. Each additional screen after that is $10.

So, 48 black t-shirts at $8.00 per shirt comes out to $384. Add in the 3 screen charges and a $10 film charge and my quote would come to about $440.

Remember that quotes that you receive won't always remain the same. Most quotes are made off of general information given by the customer. Final cost can either increase or decrease when further detail is discussed.

Sorry, don't know how to quote yet. Can anyone let me know how?
It can be pretty tricky. My best advice would be to call some local printers and ask for a price list. That will give you an idea of what your competition is pricing.

Also, if you have a set wholesaler where you will be receiving all of your garments from, figure out how much it will cost you to purchase a shirt from them and markup the price a certain percentage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts