T-Shirt Forums banner
161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
We use both plastisol transfers and cut our own "vinyl". The quality of the plastisol is hands down better and lasts much longer once applied. F&M Expresions has an online special for prints with a $20 setup and $0.15 per print 12x9.75 I believe is the size. They are a great company and we also use ProWorld Customs. These two seem to be the easiest companies to work with for us and ProWorld is really fast. F&M is cheap enough that we will order 100 minimum copies of any transfer we do and have them on hand for the next order. The most important step is setting your temperature right on your heat press.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1. You should check with them directly for their artwork requirements. Different vendors have different requirements.

2. Definitely. You simple tell the transfer co. that the design is for a dark shirt and they will add the white underbase to it.

3. Yes, you are correct.

4. Correct. The transfer paper is like wax paper. The only thing that transfers is the ink. No residue whatsoever. It the same as if you had printed it directly on a silkscreeen press.

5. blanks. Alstyle makes a good cheaper alternative to American Apparel.

6. Heat press. Popular brands are Stahls, Hix, Hottronix, Phoenix, George Knight . You should get at least a 15 X 15 to cover all your bases on transfer size.
Hi

I wanted to understand just a few things about Plastisol v. screen printing.

1. Cost of Plastisol v. Screen printing for a typical front of shirt ( Logo) area 12X12
one or 2 colors. 200 shirts?
2. The wearability/durability seems to be about the same.

What i like about Plastisol from what i have read, I seem buying 200+ transfers to have to be able to use for multiple sizes & have less inventory on hand. Rather than getting stuck with a specific color or size. Any comments?

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Hi

I wanted to understand just a few things about Plastisol v. screen printing.

1. Cost of Plastisol v. Screen printing for a typical front of shirt ( Logo) area 12X12
one or 2 colors. 200 shirts?
2. The wearability/durability seems to be about the same.

What i like about Plastisol from what i have read, I seem buying 200+ transfers to have to be able to use for multiple sizes & have less inventory on hand. Rather than getting stuck with a specific color or size. Any comments?
Screen printing costs far less on a per unit basis and has the edge as far as durability versus plastisol transfers.....But having said that, I can make more money with transfer because they are more flexible in adapting to selling on demand....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Screen printing costs far less on a per unit basis and has the edge as far as durability versus plastisol transfers.....But having said that, I can make more money with transfer because they are more flexible in adapting to selling on demand....
Many thanks. Where do you think the breakeven point is between Plastisol transfer & regular screen printing when it comes to quanity. ? what about 500 shirts ? I realize printing on demand is a huge cost advantage when you dont have to worry about stock shirts & various colors. Just trying to learn. thx.

·
Administrator
15,478 Posts
Where do you think the breakeven point is between Plastisol transfer & regular screen printing when it comes to quanity.
There is no breakeven point between direct printing and transfers. Direct printing will always be cheaper to produce whether you're doing 1 or a 1 million. Keep in mind, the process of doing direct printing and printing to transfer paper is the same. You then have the added expense with transfers of actually applying them to the garment.

Transfers has a lot of advantages as discussed, but cost is not one of them.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Many thanks. Where do you think the breakeven point is between Plastisol transfer & regular screen printing when it comes to quanity. ? what about 500 shirts ? I realize printing on demand is a huge cost advantage when you dont have to worry about stock shirts & various colors. Just trying to learn. thx.
This depends on what you pay. Splat's statement is only true if you are doing your own printing, if you are buying printing then you have to compare the costs. Screenprint costs are all over the map, prices vary significantly in most places. Prices between transfer companies vary, prices between direct printing varies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No (they are both shirts printed withs screen printing technology).

I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference with most screen printed designs. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the t-shirts in my closet are actually printed using screen printed plastisol transfers instead of direct screen printing.

There are a few high end design techniques that might be hard with plastisol transfers, but for the most part, they can achieve similar quality.
How do you do muliti colors? With flash dying?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everybody :)))

I am looking for plastisol transfer paper with matte finish, could some of you help me, please..???...send some link or so..???
I am from Slovakia so EU company would be the best, but I would order them from US if dont find here.
I use a hot peel transfers but they make the print glossy.
BTW I dont use them for printing onto paper and then tranfer to garment, I print direct to t-shirts and then make the plastisol print smooth using a heatpress and transfer paper.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just read all 12 pages, dating back 8 years, worries me there hasnt been many recent posts on this thread, but i guess there is alot of great information in the thread already. From everything i have read plastisol seems to be a great product. Is this still true? Can I build a business around it? Not trying to get rich just enjoyment and beer money ha

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just read all 12 pages, dating back 8 years, worries me there hasnt been many recent posts on this thread, but i guess there is alot of great information in the thread already. From everything i have read plastisol seems to be a great product. Is this still true? Can I build a business around it? Not trying to get rich just enjoyment and beer money ha
The short answer is ... Yes!

161 - 180 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.