T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been looking for plus size stylish ladies blank long sleeve T's for ages and had no luck. So I have had my own patterns made and now ready to seek manufacturer. However, I am confused about what fabric I should use. I want it to drape nicely like viscose does but ok to wash in machine or hand wash without wrinkling. I also want something that won't pill easily. The fabric also needs to be good for screen printing. Any suggestions would be great as I am hearing conflicting things about using Viscose. Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Viscose, which is a rayon, by nature wrinkles easily and pills and shrinks. But it is popular because it drapes well and is comfortable to wear. If you want less of the disadvantage of rayon, you should go with a blend. Poly Rayon is widely used because manufacturers want the drapiness of rayon with the easy care of polyester.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for the reply DimSum. I was under impression that you can't screen print on Polyester. What %blend would be good? Needs also to have stretch in it as my sample was made with Rayon/Elastane which almost has a 100% stretch factor and good retractibility. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi Tracey,

Just try to use cotton/poly blended fabric, 65%cotton,35%polyester. This blended fabric drape well, anti pill and wrinkle, and also wear comfortable, and allow to make screen printing. Most cotton included to get a good stretch.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bill, thanks for the advice. Will the cotton/poly blend hang like Viscose or will it cling? Tracey

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi Bill, thanks for the advice. Will the cotton/poly blend hang like Viscose or will it cling? Tracey
Hi Tracey,

Have no idea if you will use the fabric to cut t-shirt or something else? the cotton/poly blended fabric hangs or drapes very well like the viscose, and the fabric is commonly used for making t-shirt, polo shirts than viscose fabric.

What you meant about cling? the printed logo can be clung to the fabric very fastened.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bill, I will use fabric to cut Tshirt. I have some cotton/poly Tshirts here but they cling to body but this maybe because of the style of Tshirt. I think I need to head to a good fabric shop and have a look around. Cheers Tracey

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi Tracey,

The fabric will not cling to body, like you said, maybe attribute to the cut of t-shirt, a tight size or some other reason.

That would be a great idea to check around in the fabric store, touch them, feel them. Hope you will get the right thing.

Bill

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Tracey,

You need to do some testing on your own. Fabric vendors might claim the fabric is of a certain fiber content, but it might differ from what they claim. All I can tell you that it is possible to screen on poly blend, maybe it be poly cotton or poly rayon.

UrbanOutfitters.com > Van Halen Oversized Tee

UrbanOutfitters.com > Oversized Night Sky

Rayon is a celluose and will absorb moisture like cotton and should screen and print like cotton.

In terms of clinging, ployester does hold on to static, but only in very dry whether. Should not worry about it too much if you ship to other parts of the country. There are too many variables, like what fabric you end up sourcing, which kind of printing method and ink you use.

Just take your fabric(s) to your printer and do some testing. Don't rely on other people's advise alone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Tracy.
Viscose is a semi-synthetic fiber, which becomes hard while it meets water
There are some advice:
1、wash it gently
2、soak it less than 15 min before washing
3、the temperature of cleaning mixture should be lower than 35°

Or you want to test the coefficient of viscose after washing, maybe you can visit the product TF118 in TESTEX website, I think that machine suitable for you to test drape coefficient textile fabrics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts