T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
heck no, you can basically use it to cut anything logos etc... and use any material that you can feed it with ....that your blades can handle of course.

Altough it is somewhat of an NOT so new thing anymore... wow, short life span. LOL

I like the roland Print/Cut series. :D

even Roland, wow! ... a long way from the DX7 Synth.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well I started with mine to make stickers and such for paintballers. They can be simple,

or as detailed as,

Those are just the one color vinyl stickers. You can also layer multiple colors to work up different designs like,

and

But is all youre looking to do is tshirts, well heres a sample or two from someone who just started.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/hammerworx/Tshirts and Jerseys/Picture004.jpg
with a rack of materials like the reflective shirt vinyls.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/hammerworx/Tshirts and Jerseys/Picture007.jpg

I have more but havent uploaded them. With a little time and practice, you can really make some nice stuff. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Yep, from what I understand (if a vinyl cutter is the same thing as an "optical cutter"), you can use it to trim transfer paper (so there is less transfer residue around your design). You can also use it to trim letters, numbers, flock, etc.

Hopefully you can't trim fingers with them :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I do fullside tuner car graphics with mine as well as vinyl decals, custom club windshield decals, banners and for sure custom t-shirts. It is basically a cad machine...put a pen in it instead of a blade and you can draw as well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Also if you can afford a machine with optical registration eyes go for it. Incase youre not sure what those are, its "eyes" that look for registration marks ,the little crosshairs left to help locate designs on a sheet. The nice part of having them is if youre doing inkjet style transfers, you can use your cutter to trim the excess.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
At the show I found the roland printer/cutter to be about $12K and separating the two and getting a printer and a cutter to be about $1500 each. Any thoughts on getting the combined one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can basically do many things that screen printing can do. The vinyl cutter is great for one or two color schemes. It is also great for short runs, where screen printers need runs of 12 or greater to be profitable. Another plus for vinyl on clothing is that the vinyl is flexible and does not crack after washing. I Love my cutter, had it for several months and learn to do more with it every day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a newbie sponge soaking up all the wonderful information you guys put out here..........Will an optical cutter cut out all the curves and intricacies of, say, a sports team logo?

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Will an optical cutter cut out all the curves and intricacies of, say, a sports team logo?
Looking at the samples hammered posted above, I would think so. I saw some pretty intricate cuts from an optical cutter when I went to the printwear tradeshow.

·
Registered
503 Posts
T-licious said:
I'm a newbie sponge soaking up all the wonderful information you guys put out here..........Will an optical cutter cut out all the curves and intricacies of, say, a sports team logo?
Team and sponser logos are my mainstay right now. You can get as complex or as simple as you want. Even the most inexpensive machines will cut nice radius' and sharp *** corners.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well the reason I asked is I was looking at imprintables warehouse in their equiptment clearance section they are offering a
Phoenix™ 15" x 15" Heat press & Piranha™24" Vinyl Cutter for $2175
Im thinking thats a good deal.Does anyone have either of these?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts