T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing threadless and I'm having a little trouble finding out what they do. Yes, they have some contest and the winning design gets some money but anything else? Can they be used for something?

Maybe it's a stupid question but some comments will help.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Can they be used for something?
If you are a designer, it's possible having a winning design there could help your notoriety/portfolio.

I don't know if there are any "tools" to use on threadless per say, though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Basically they just hold a contest like you stated and the winner gets cash, and some store credit, etc. However, they get so much traffic that winning could lead to other things. I saw a video clip online of them on their local news I believe and one of the Jakes (owners) said that one of the winning designers was contacted by a snowboard company to contract some designs. So I think there is great potential there other than winning the cash, although $2k isn't bad =)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
They are just a regular tshirt store with a gimmick. But they do both very very well. Essentially they print money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
haha, good point...

I think that threadless is a good place for a designer to get some 'cred. I am considering submitting some designs there.

Unfortunatly stuff you submit is thiers for 60 days and you cannot print your own versions during that time. Futhermore if you win, threadless retains the right to your logo for all apparel printing. So you do and you don't own your designs once you submit them.

Just a caveat before anyone starts throwing up all their shirts on that site!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah they do have a good business plan, let everyone else do the work for them and pay them a fraction of the millions they make...wish I would have done it haha.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think overall Threadless is a good spring board for any artist wanting to get a following of people. The artist usually have no desire to make their own shirts, they just want the 2K and some popularity.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must say that they hold a lot of quality designs and one of the best prints. I've never saw a t-shirt printed by them but online they look superb.

Does anyone know how often this contest takes place?

And has anyone on this forum won a contest on threadless?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Does anyone know how often this contest takes place?
I think the contest is ongoing.

I'm not sure how often they pick winning designs (like whether it's on a schedule or not). They probably have that info posted on their site somewhere.

I know I get emails every week or so that have some new designs that they print, so it may be weekly or biweekly. One of the only email newsletters that I open :)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
At the moment they print about 5-6 new designs per week. It does vary (occasionally they'll do just reprints, and occasionally they'll print 10-12 new shirts in one week), and it trends upwards (i.e. they used to print 1 new a week, then 2, then etc. etc.), but at the moment it's roughly 5-6 new designs per week.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I recently received my two first shirts from them. Really good print quality, but I hate the shirts they are printed on, they are very rough, which is suprising because they are 50/50. I have an old 50/50 from Hanes and it is much softer. I guess now that I'm into the shirt business I pay more attention to things like that though.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
but I hate the shirts they are printed on, they are very rough, which is suprising because they are 50/50. I have an old 50/50 from Hanes and it is much softer.
Weird, I'm sure they are using 50/50 Fruit of the Loom to print on. I've always thought the 50/50 FOL were softer than the 50/50 Hanes, but maybe they switched (or maybe the brands changed quality somehow).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Of all the "cheaper" shirts (ie not AA, Alternative, Continental etc), the FOTL 50/50 is by far my favorite.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Rodney said:
Weird, I'm sure they are using 50/50 Fruit of the Loom to print on. I've always thought the 50/50 FOL were softer than the 50/50 Hanes, but maybe they switched (or maybe the brands changed quality somehow).
Yeah I was surprised too. I got a dark gray shirt, and a light green. The green was much softer, which is usually the case in any brand with light colors. The dark gray is very scratchy though, even after washing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts