T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My idea for a clothing line is somewhat like Affliction, and Ed Hardy. It will have a lot of skulls and all over screen printing. Some of my main elements are: secret societies, the mafia, knights, crosses, skulls, tattoos, etc. I was just wondering if everyone thought this was a good idea. Please let me know what you think. It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
You need a lot more than an idea to make it. Since it's nothing more than the idea of doing everything that's fashionable and been done before, would I say it's a good idea? No, I wouldn't. By the time you got it to market it would be stale. Ideas are near worthless without implementation. Could you succeed doing this? It's certainly possible. But it's only in your ability to design and run a business that our opinion could have any real meaning - and we have no idea what your ability is. Your idea alone isn't worth anything.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It's been done to death.

Not only that, but I can't count how many times I've seen posts in this forum from people wanting to know how to create prints like Affliction or Ed Hardy. So there are quite a few others who are thinking about doing something similar as well.

If something is fashionable and popular, chances are it's going to be unfashionable and unpopular in the near future. That's just the general rule. It's not really a wise idea to base a brand on a trend. I'm sure Afflicition and the other big brands already have plans on what kind of new stuff to come out with as soon as skulls and tattoos are "out".

Maybe you should think a little more and try to come up with something a little more original, that has more personal meaning to you, or that appeals to a specific target market. It might have a little more staying power. :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi. To create all over printing is not a easy task. Many garments are pre-printed by fabric on a roll, then the patterns are accurately cut, to match the design and the garment then sewn up from the cut pieces. To go down that route you would have to invest is some very expensive equipment and have a large area in which to work. Outsourcing would be prohibitively expensive, unless you were ordering in thousands per design.

I think much of the attraction to Affliction, by many would be start ups, is the $60.00 price tag they sell at. Get a shirt printed up for $5.00 and you'll make a clear $55.00 on every sale. If you ONLY sold 100 shirts a week you'd make a clear $5,500 profit, or over $280,000 a year.

Affliction is an established brand name and people want to be seen wearing the genuine article.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need a lot more than an idea to make it. Since it's nothing more than the idea of doing everything that's fashionable and been done before, would I say it's a good idea? No, I wouldn't. By the time you got it to market it would be stale. Ideas are near worthless without implementation. Could you succeed doing this? It's certainly possible. But it's only in your ability to design and run a business that our opinion could have any real meaning - and we have no idea what your ability is. Your idea alone isn't worth anything.
I was just wondering if people thought it was a good idea for a line. Not if I would make it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You can certainly work on designs from a hobby perspective. Using templates, you can even see what they would look like on a tee. Nothing at all wrong with doing that.

Manufacturing and marketing tees is a completely different ball game though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
To play the other side of the fence, I do those types of designs and looks, and no its not hard to do em and its a great idea. To say that it won't be around or the idea will be stale by the time your ready to implement is a little to easy to say.

There is a huge market for it, and will be for a long time, yes you are going to have to adapt to the new looks, new colors, but skulls and grimeyness will never go away to me.

For example, Affiliction, eagles, skulls, dirty, grimey looks are big sellers in certain markets, but how you do it, how you place the images and how its printed means a lot. Look at an inspirational site like emptees.com, to me they capture the "x/hard core scene" very well. Its not always skulls, or tattoo script, but zombies, mummy's, crazy werewolfs, puke, snot, blood, brains, crazy halftones and anything you used to see on garbage pail kids. All this retro stuff is coming back, and I would jump towards that route, and capitalize on the new trends with your style. Trends will come and go, you just have to adapt to changes. More kids are wearing tour/band tees and merch from their favorite group, so see what we can do, worse case is you build up your portfolio, and others might contact you based on your designs and not your "line". Jump on flickr and other sites, or tee contest and see what you can do. Good luck!

Just my .06 cents.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
To say that it won't be around or the idea will be stale by the time your ready to implement is a little to easy to say.
Yes, it's not exactly she sells sea shells by the sea shore. Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.

Just because it's easy, doesn't mean it isn't true.

Not only do fashion trends not last, fashion trends popular with those about to lose their jobs and homes particularly don't last.

If all you do is respond to current trends, you're always going to be two or three seasons behind.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think Deception is a good name for a clothing line - but as has already been mentioned - the concept as been done to death. Unless you have something new to offer the concept (possible but not probable) - not a good idea for a new line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts