T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen "Clear Base" water-based inks, and I was wondering, if you were to mix black or white with a clear base, does it have the desired print appear to be a little darker than the actual shirt color? Like this for example:

What exactly does a "Clear Base" do?

Here is a Clear Base from Ryonet:
http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/mtrc301clearbase-1

· Registered
1,558 Posts
Clear base is use as part of a mixing pigment system to match pantone.
Like wilflex PC system, printop, rutland and many brand have that kind of system.

You just follow the formula guide to match the desire pantone color

You have different clear base (clear / opaque / soft hand) but that depends of the brand and ink system.

You can reduce the pigment load by adding clear base, if you had really more, it will be more transparent and you will have color shift. Black will turn grey, dark red will be lighter red and so on.

If you want the same effect as the photo, I recommend printing directly the PMS 430C watet based, of plastisol like fashion soft base or chino base.

If you have only black and white, you can mix to get the grey you want.

I mainly use clear to reduce ink load on opaque ink for wet on wet printing, or to make my highlight white ink (I just reduce opaque white ink to make a lighter white).

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clear base is use as part of a mixing pigment system to match pantone.
Like wilflex PC system, printop, rutland and many brand have that kind of system.

You just follow the formula guide to match the desire pantone color

You have different clear base (clear / opaque / soft hand) but that depends of the brand and ink system.

You can reduce the pigment load by adding clear base, if you had really more, it will be more transparent and you will have color shift. Black will turn grey, dark red will be lighter red and so on.

If you want the same effect as the photo, I recommend printing directly the PMS 430C watet based, of plastisol like fashion soft base or chino base.

If you have only black and white, you can mix to get the grey you want.

I mainly use clear to reduce ink load on opaque ink for wet on wet printing, or to make my highlight white ink (I just reduce opaque white ink to make a lighter white).
I'm new to screen printing and I didn't really understand what you were saying to be honest haha. Could you dumb it down for me? :p Is clear ink actually clear or is it white?

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the link you gave Clear 301C Base is clear/transparent
So if I poured that (clear/transparent) ink with a red, it would make the red a little lighter? Why not use white ink to do that, then?

If I wanted to make the ink just a little darker than the shirt, sort of opaque, too, how would I do that with a clear ink?

· Registered
1,558 Posts
So if I poured that (clear/transparent) ink with a red, it would make the red a little lighter? Why not use white ink to do that, then?
That depends of the ink system, but
White will turn color pastel faster, clear will affect opacity.

With some brand of ink, you will not affect color by adding clear with up to 30%, but you will change its opacity. and if you had even more you will loose opacity and have a color shift (weaker color)

If I wanted to make the ink just a little darker than the shirt, sort of opaque, too, how would I do that with a clear ink?
Clear is transparent so if you need opacity, with no fiber showing throw that will not be easy.

The best would be to tell the shirt color and let us see the design.
There are many printing option.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That depends of the ink system, but
White will turn color pastel faster, clear will affect opacity.

With some brand of ink, you will not affect color by adding clear with up to 30%, but you will change its opacity. and if you had even more you will loose opacity and have a color shift (weaker color)

Clear is transparent so if you need opacity, with no fiber showing throw that will not be easy.

The best would be to tell the shirt color and let us see the design.
There are many printing option.
So you can use clear, white ink, and a opaque color (like red for example) all mixed into one? Like if I wanted a sort of see-through light red onto a tri-blend shirt (so I can show the texture of the shirt through the ink)?

· Registered
1,558 Posts
This one is a good exemple
http://d1nr5wevwcuzuv.cloudfront.net/product_photos/398828/heather-red-anchor-liyw_original.png

They could have use opaque white ink, print one pass.
If you want to see more fibers, you just add clear in the white, so it will reduce pigment load, hence opacity.

So you can use clear, white ink, and a opaque color (like red for example) all mixed into one? Like if I wanted a sort of see-through light red onto a tri-blend shirt (so I can show the texture of the shirt through the ink)?
If the shirt color is really dark, one pass printing with your opaque red could be enough, if not add some clear in it.
White will make the red more pastel, not bright

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.