T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a resellers license and Im wondering what a basic white american apparel jersey t shirt costs at wholesale price, say for 2 dozen? I have another source to buy american apparel and other t shirts at wholesale prices, but I was wondering what they actually cost per shirt direct from the company.
Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think it's about 6 bucks but I'm not sure on the exact. I think all other places mark them up a few cents. You can always call and they'll send you a wholesale price list. I signed up without a tax ID #, had 2 people tell me I didn't need one, but someone else told me I had to have one. So if you get someone who does, just call back later and try again.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
...Or just get the sales tax license. It's not exactly hard to get and you might as well be legal about the whole process :p

6$? Very expensive. I imagine that ordering direct would only be a good idea if you're ordering in massive bulk; you can get about 4$ at broder I believe.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just got my first apparel delivery today (it took 3 days). I have a whosale account. I got the fine jersey 2001 t-shirt (1 doz black) @ 4.15 each. It is 3.90 for a case of same size and color.(1 case=96 t-shirts) white is cheaper 3.25 for case and 3.50 for dozen.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
tshirtworld said:
Why do people pay $6 for a shirt that they sell for $15-$20 when you can get a hanes or other company for under $2?
Some people prefer American made products. Some people prefer the trendy styling of American Apparel products. Some people prefer only to support manufacturers that create garments in a sweatshop free environment. There are many reasons why people would pay more.

·
Banned
48 Posts
I understand that Rodney but a few things with American Made Products. You take Oakley for example, its american made but a pair will also cost you $150. If your selling USA tshirts with the same design for $30, then I kind of understand the reasoning. You can find similar trendy styles with dozens of other manufacturers. The sweatshops are not only in third world countries, they are here in the USA as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure about the sweat shop issue. I do know getting paid $6.00 per hour doing anything in the US is slave labor. I haven't even tried on an american apparel shirt as of yet, but Im getting a few in to sample. I like more of the old navy style, softer cotton, and a more snug fit over the shoulders, arms and chest. Im gonna sample a couple I bought at $5.00 each. I'll definitely look into the resellers license and tax license, but at this point Im really just learning the trade, and printing shirts for myself and friends.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
tshirtworld said:
I understand that Rodney but a few things with American Made Products. You take Oakley for example, its american made but a pair will also cost you $150. If your selling USA tshirts with the same design for $30, then I kind of understand the reasoning. You can find similar trendy styles with dozens of other manufacturers. The sweatshops are not only in third world countries, they are here in the USA as well.

You asked for the reasoning and I gave you the possible reasoning :) You don't have to agree with it or understand it (everybody has a different view on things :D )

Some people don't mind paying more to know that a product is "made in the USA".

Nobody said anything about not having sweatshops in the US. I said some people prefer to buy shirts that are sweatshop free (like from AmericanApparel or NoSweat, etc).

I personally think the AmericanApparel shirts are a bit too expensive and run way to small, but they do have a large following and there is a certain set of customers where an AmericanApparel shirt factors into their buying decision.

My new favorite tee is the Fruit of the Loom 50/50 tee. A super soft tee in a wide range of colors that is not too heavy and not too light. I would pick it over a Hanes Beefy, a Jerzees Z, or an American Apparel any day.

The problem is, it's a good idea to get out of the mindset of what you (as the t-shirt merchant) wants or likes. You've gotta get into the mindset of what your potential customer would want or prefer.

Different demographics like different things. Some like the heavy Hanes Beefy/Jerzees Z because they feel that heavier=better quality. Some like the AmericanApparel because they like the tighter fit and they think the lighter weight is better quality.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
not for the young demographic shopping online.
That's not necessarily true either. Not all (or even the majority) of the "young demographic shopping online" likes the slim fitting style of AmericanApparel tees.

Some do, some don't. Beefy tees aren't just for grandparents.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I dislike the AA fit....looks nice on me, but just feels a little close. I like a little flap in my shirts.

I love the Gildan cut. They fall very well on both the fit/well-built and the slightly flabbier. It seems a perfect middle ground.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
bjmason32 said:
I disagree monkey,

American Apparel is know for their fit - yes it is certainly cut a little tight compared to most shirts, however if you order 1 size larger than usual.......I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I like AA shirts, and have several that I wear. The problem is, if you're a little over a prime weight, as most of our customers are, they look like something washed up on the beach in an AA shirt (and a larger size makes a tent on your shoulders).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
monkeylantern said:
I like AA shirts, and have several that I wear. The problem is, if you're a little over a prime weight, as most of our customers are, they look like something washed up on the beach in an AA shirt (and a larger size makes a tent on your shoulders).
And because AA shirts cost twice as much, most sites that use AA stock half the size range - which in turn further makes things difficult for the overweight or otherwise larger individual.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts