T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
7,118 Posts
I have read conflicting info regarding the use of manufacturer's RN numbers. Some sources say it's ok to use them. Some say it's fraudulent to use them. My advice would be to contact the manufacturer and ask if you can use their RN number when re-labeling. Or just get your own RN number and not have to worry about it.

For the Next Level shirts, as long as the required info (RN Number, Fiber Content, Country of Origin, Care Instructions) is on the tag you leave in, then it's ok to remove the brand label and screen your own brand logo.

· Administrator
18,945 Posts
I have read conflicting info regarding the use of manufacturer's RN numbers. Some sources say it's ok to use them. Some say it's fraudulent to use them.
Here's an excerpt from the FTC Site:

"Replacing another company’s label with your own An importer, distributor, or retailer may want to replace the original label on a textile product with a label showing its company or RN. This is perfectly legal as long as the new label lists the name or RN of the person or company making the change."

I now read that to mean you need to include your full legal name or your own RN# on a replacement tag.

· Registered
68 Posts
Hello all,
I have one problem, which is that I have different styles with different care instructions, so I decided to leave the care instruction that came from the manufacture. The question is I'm designing hang tag and I included my brand logo, website, size, and origin of country. Do I need to include care instruction or not since I have different styles it's going to be expensive? So do you think the info I have would be enough or am I missing something?

· Administrator
18,945 Posts
Hello all,
I have one problem, which is that I have different styles with different care instructions, so I decided to leave the care instruction that came from the manufacture. The question is I'm designing hang tag and I included my brand logo, website, size, and origin of country. Do I need to include care instruction or not since I have different styles it's going to be expensive? So do you think the info I have would be enough or am I missing something?
the relabeling laws do not apply to hang tags, only clothing labels. You can put as much, or as little, information on hang tags as you wish.

· Registered
35 Posts
Interesting. I was just looking at Printful, they do printing and fulfillment, and chatted them to ask whether they relabel (they do, sorta) and whether they use their own RN# or should I use mine (as a designer/customer). The guy didn't even know what I was talking about. "Is that industry standard?" etc. And he insisted that all the legally required info is on the tags they DTG onto the shirt, which does not include an RN#. So... they don't use RN#s at all when they relabel.

The info I was trying to glean, though, is... if I am a relabeler, do I use my own RN# or do my customers (the designer/marketers) need their own? Or do I use the print shop's RN#?

· Registered
7,118 Posts
Interesting. I was just looking at Printful, they do printing and fulfillment, and chatted them to ask whether they relabel (they do, sorta) and whether they use their own RN# or should I use mine (as a designer/customer). The guy didn't even know what I was talking about. "Is that industry standard?" etc. And he insisted that all the legally required info is on the tags they DTG onto the shirt, which does not include an RN#. So... they don't use RN#s at all when they relabel.
It's possible the blanks they use have the RN number on a side seam label, so they wouldn't need one on the neck label. It's also possible they are using their full corporate name on the labels instead of an RN number. If not, then their labels aren't actually FTC compliant.

The info I was trying to glean, though, is... if I am a relabeler, do I use my own RN# or do my customers (the designer/marketers) need their own? Or do I use the print shop's RN#?
You would use your customer's RN number. Even though you are doing the physical relabeling, your customer is responsible for the garment as it passes along to the end user.

· Registered
6,970 Posts
You would use your customer's RN number. Even though you are doing the physical relabeling, your customer is responsible for the garment as it passes along to the end user.
Tim I do not usually disagree with you, but I "think" in this instance the re-labler would also be compliant if they used their own RN#....

· Registered
7,118 Posts
You're probably right, Royce. It would still be FTC compliant if the print shop used their own RN number. But the spirit of the FTC guideline is for consumer protection. And in most cases, the consumer would want to be able to trace the garment back to the brand, not the print shop. So IMO, it would be best to use the customer's RN number if available. But using the print shop's RN number wouldn't be illegal.

· Registered
25 Posts
Actually, care labels come from when the fabric is tested before cut and sew production. Once it has been through QC they provide the responsible care label to the garment. If you are working with a manufacturer these things should be inclusive of the production and unlike purchasing gildan/hands/AA its actually much more efficient to go through a manufacturer opposed to hiding the wholesale brand.

· Registered
176 Posts
Actually, care labels come from when the fabric is tested before cut and sew production. Once it has been through QC they provide the responsible care label to the garment. If you are working with a manufacturer these things should be inclusive of the production and unlike purchasing gildan/hands/AA its actually much more efficient to go through a manufacturer opposed to hiding the wholesale brand.
Agreed 100%.

Sent from my SM-G530H using T-Shirt Forums

· Registered
25 Posts
You'll find all the answers here for Canada.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/01249.html

To simplify, it is required in Canada to have both English and French. Again, the only way to accomplish an appropriate care label tag is through a manufacturer when the fabric is tested and fiber content is evaluated.

Canadians must also apply for a CA number similar to an RN number for the US. The cost is $100CAD one time fee to register. When you have this number it must be on all garments imported. However, there are ways around this...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.