T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7,118 Posts
Hello! I have a question about relabeling and RN#s When relabeling does the original RN# go onto the new label, along with the material, "my Brand" name, and origin? Or does my RN# go on it. Do I need my own RN if I am not making the shirt? Just adding graphics and relabeling.
It's free to get your own RN# and they e-mail it to you within a day or two. You can apply here. In addition to fiber content, origin and RN#, you also need care instructions on the label.

· Registered
7,118 Posts
thank you, but Im still wondering if I need to put my RN #, or the original RN# from the original manufacter of the shirt. End result would include just my RN# or but mine, and the orig manufacter of the material
Only one RN# is needed - either yours or the original manufacturer. I'm not really sure if you can use the original when relabeling, but you probably can. Just my opinion, but it's a good idea to use your own. It helps make you look more professional and credible when the garment can be traced back to you instead of another company.

· Registered
7,118 Posts
Keith,
On the Next Level shirts, you also need to have Care Instructions labeled somewhere on the shirt.

On the other brand shirt, replacing the original label with a custom screened label is fine. You should use the exact same info that is on the original label. But it's probably a good idea to apply for your own RN number. It's free and very easy to get.

· Registered
7,118 Posts
I have read conflicting info regarding the use of manufacturer's RN numbers. Some sources say it's ok to use them. Some say it's fraudulent to use them. My advice would be to contact the manufacturer and ask if you can use their RN number when re-labeling. Or just get your own RN number and not have to worry about it.

For the Next Level shirts, as long as the required info (RN Number, Fiber Content, Country of Origin, Care Instructions) is on the tag you leave in, then it's ok to remove the brand label and screen your own brand logo.

· Registered
7,118 Posts
Interesting. I was just looking at Printful, they do printing and fulfillment, and chatted them to ask whether they relabel (they do, sorta) and whether they use their own RN# or should I use mine (as a designer/customer). The guy didn't even know what I was talking about. "Is that industry standard?" etc. And he insisted that all the legally required info is on the tags they DTG onto the shirt, which does not include an RN#. So... they don't use RN#s at all when they relabel.
It's possible the blanks they use have the RN number on a side seam label, so they wouldn't need one on the neck label. It's also possible they are using their full corporate name on the labels instead of an RN number. If not, then their labels aren't actually FTC compliant.

The info I was trying to glean, though, is... if I am a relabeler, do I use my own RN# or do my customers (the designer/marketers) need their own? Or do I use the print shop's RN#?
You would use your customer's RN number. Even though you are doing the physical relabeling, your customer is responsible for the garment as it passes along to the end user.

· Registered
7,118 Posts
You're probably right, Royce. It would still be FTC compliant if the print shop used their own RN number. But the spirit of the FTC guideline is for consumer protection. And in most cases, the consumer would want to be able to trace the garment back to the brand, not the print shop. So IMO, it would be best to use the customer's RN number if available. But using the print shop's RN number wouldn't be illegal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.