T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be making my own tags and have the company I am getting my shirts from relable the shirts. Have any of you found out what you need to legally need to have on the shirts? I will have a hang tag that I will put the washing instructions and stuff on but what needs to legally be affixed to the shirts? Anything?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Off the top of my head: full legal name of the company and/or an RN, country of origin on the FRONT of the tag, accurate care instructions in clear and legible English (can't over or under prescribe treatment - symbols optional), fibre content (I think)... that might be all actually. I wrote about it a while ago in depth (here) and the FTC have a very good website on the subject.

Most blanks are sold with legally compliant tags (occasionally they're not), and they are generally designed so that if you remove the top tag (with the brand of the blank) and leave the back tag (with the care instructions, etc.), making sure your front tag is the same size or smaller (so the back tag hangs down a little and displays the country of origin - generally placed at the bottom of the back tag so it displays at the front, as legally required)... then you will be legally compliant.

(if you want to transfer the information across onto your tag and have one tag only you can, but if you want to have more company stuff on the tag and not have to worry about legal requirements that is one way to do it)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Though I think having your own labels is kinda cool, doesn't that just open you up to more liability? Cost? Why are you inclined to do this?

IMHO You could save yourself some $ by creating a "proper care" page on your website.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
error426 said:
Though I think having your own labels is kinda cool, doesn't that just open you up to more liability? Cost? Why are you inclined to do this?
It's part of establishing your t-shirts as a brand, basically. Helps people think of the shirt as YOUR shirt, not a Hanes/Gildan/American Apparel/etc. shirt. It won't really make you more liable as long as you do put the legally required info on there, but it does have extra costs involved, and isn't for everyone.

error426 said:
IMHO You could save yourself some $ by creating a "proper care" page on your website.
Not really; this kind of info needs to be on the tag by law. You can leave the original tags in there which have the info, but if you remove those simply having a note on the website won't cut it.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
error426 said:
doesn't that just open you up to more liability?
Only if you screw up the tag ;) (in which case you could be liable for thousands of dollars in fines, and a total product recall, though it's pretty unlikely)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello! I have a question about relabeling and RN#s When relabeling does the original RN# go onto the new label, along with the material, "my Brand" name, and origin? Or does my RN# go on it. Do I need my own RN if I am not making the shirt? Just adding graphics and relabeling.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Hello! I have a question about relabeling and RN#s When relabeling does the original RN# go onto the new label, along with the material, "my Brand" name, and origin? Or does my RN# go on it. Do I need my own RN if I am not making the shirt? Just adding graphics and relabeling.
It's free to get your own RN# and they e-mail it to you within a day or two. You can apply here. In addition to fiber content, origin and RN#, you also need care instructions on the label.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank you, but Im still wondering if I need to put my RN #, or the original RN# from the original manufacter of the shirt. End result would include just my RN# or but mine, and the orig manufacter of the material

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
thank you, but Im still wondering if I need to put my RN #, or the original RN# from the original manufacter of the shirt. End result would include just my RN# or but mine, and the orig manufacter of the material
Only one RN# is needed - either yours or the original manufacturer. I'm not really sure if you can use the original when relabeling, but you probably can. Just my opinion, but it's a good idea to use your own. It helps make you look more professional and credible when the garment can be traced back to you instead of another company.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you. I did just go to check out the RN application. Right now this is a home business, hopefully not for long, but it is right now. I really dont want my home address to be available on the public look up. So ill have to figure something out with that. i dont believe I cvan use a PO box either. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
15,036 Posts

You can use the original RN# that was on the tag or you can use your own.

If you don't want your address showing in the lookup, get an address through a UPS Store or similar. Costs less than $100/year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great information but I need a little clarification: Does this make sense:
I am relabeling Next Level shirts, they have a tear away brand tag that I plan on removing, they also have a basic care tag with Rn, fiber content, country of origin. My plan is to leave the original care tag and screen print our retail logo on the inside of the collar.

On another brand shirt i will have to remove all of there labels and add my own. To be clear I was intending on doing the following:

Include our retail logo along with all of the info off of the original label we removed as a screened tag on the inside collar. Does this seem correct, also am I fine keeping hte original Ra or should I create my own and use that instead.

Appreciate the advice.

KP

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Keith,
On the Next Level shirts, you also need to have Care Instructions labeled somewhere on the shirt.

On the other brand shirt, replacing the original label with a custom screened label is fine. You should use the exact same info that is on the original label. But it's probably a good idea to apply for your own RN number. It's free and very easy to get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I pull the original label off do I need to keep up with the origianl RN number?

On the Next Level, I was going to leave their care tag and just remove the Brand Tag? I think this one will be easy, we are going to screen print our labels since we are doing runs of 144-288 at this time unti lwe get a better grip on labels.

The issue with buying the labels is we need so many different types and sizes.

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 48 Posts