T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks for the help.

not sure why its not straight forward. Why not educate me on that then.

We charge X amount for Hat logos
we charge X amount for jacket logos

I like to be educated, but if you don't want to be helpful, then why post at all?
This is why it's not straight forward....Size..stitch count detail, how many colors, text etc....a simple font digitized may be 5 bucks I have had logo designs digitized upwards of 75 to 100 bucks....variables.....also...the quality of the digitizer is a factor as well. My average digitized items are about 30 bucks. No one size fits all
Oh... and the quality of art submitted to the digitizer can make a huge difference as well.

· Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is why it's not straight forward....Size..stitch count detail, how many colors, text etc....a simple font digitized may be 5 bucks I have had logo designs digitized upwards of 75 to 100 bucks....variables.....also...the quality of the digitizer is a factor as well. My average digitized items are about 30 bucks. No one size fits all
Oh... and the quality of art submitted to the digitizer can make a huge difference as well.
See... That's what I was wondering. We've been doing embroidery for a couple years...digitzing in house. Mostly puffed hat logos. But I still would like to know what the industry standard is... and that info his helpful.

· Registered
17 Posts
when it comes to digitizing you need to know your variables. You must have a min fee of however many thousand stitches, then you need to know how much to charge per every thousand stitch so on. There should always be the degree of difficulty. I bill out more for extreme detail. It's safe to say that there is no formula set in stone when it comes down to, how much are your talents worth. your design would have billed out from my shop at $100 based on auto stitching and minimal time editing. I hope this helps.

· Registered
290 Posts
See... That's what I was wondering. We've been doing embroidery for a couple years...digitzing in house. Mostly puffed hat logos. But I still would like to know what the industry standard is... and that info his helpful.
I also digitize in house and my retail chages are $89 for basic files small to moderate, Left chest/Hat/easy full back, foam, applique ect. I go lower/or comp it when they spend a certain amount on the emb. & Apparel, Usually well over $500-1000 as long as the file isn't complicated. Or I discount it sometimes when its not challenging and they are buying expensive items.

However I have charged as much as $150 for a full back of 2 tractors/farm equipment. So I sometimes lower or raise the price based on difficulty but usually I stick to the $89 cause we included test sewouts and 1-2 edits in the price.

But because I don't sell digitizing to other companies (It would be too hard to cover our overhead on digitizing alone). My prices don't compare.
And I don't charge by stitchcount or any of those factors.
The best digitizes charge by the hr. as it is a form of art.

· Registered
319 Posts
Why $0 for digitizing? It takes time and experience, along with expensive software, to get it looking good and running efficiently. The only way that makes any business sense is if you work an extra amount into the price you charge for the embroidery (in which case you ARE actually still charging for the digitizing. You have just hidden it from the customer).
I digitize for others. I couldn't work that way.

· Registered
9,952 Posts
We generally charge $0 but for a one off that is pretty extensive we would charge about $350 for a full back including the embroidery. Otherwise, for regular runs we don't have a separate line item charge. We keep all files and never turn them over to the customer even if we fire them.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Why $0 for digitizing? It takes time and experience, along with expensive software, to get it looking good and running efficiently. The only way that makes any business sense is if you work an extra amount into the price you charge for the embroidery (in which case you ARE actually still charging for the digitizing. You have just hidden it from the customer).
I digitize for others. I couldn't work that way.
Alison, I think we just found a free digitizer !!!:p

· Registered
1,529 Posts
We generally charge $0 but for a one off that is pretty extensive we would charge about $350 for a full back including the embroidery. Otherwise, for regular runs we don't have a separate line item charge. We keep all files and never turn them over to the customer even if we fire them.
I also don't have a line item but I work all my extra charges into the price of the garments. I don't charge my customers for art work but I let them know that I own the designs I create and if they leave and want them they must pay for them. I have had some customers in the past want the artwork to have put on other items that they wanted to get made elsewhere and I had to disappoint them. That is another reason all my proofs and mock-ups are very low resolution and I watermark them.....

· Registered
9,952 Posts
I also don't have a line item but I work all my extra charges into the price of the garments. I don't charge my customers for art work but I let them know that I own the designs I create and if they leave and want them they must pay for them. I have had some customers in the past want the artwork to have put on other items that they wanted to get made elsewhere and I had to disappoint them. That is another reason all my proofs and mock-ups are very low resolution and I watermark them.....
We are pretty much the same way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.